The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cleaning up the wiring harness

bradrs

Not trying to troll, just trying to share my experience with all sorts of problems with harnesses and connectors. And there is a lot of potential issues with both assembly, and parts.

BTW, I found another pic of the late 2G injector connector, where it did use the same terminal retainer yours use. The giveaway on whether your is the OEM supplier is if it has an arrow on that retainer piece, for Yazaki.

mitsuturbo

Quoting pot:

There has been lots of good info on here regarding this process and required tools and materials. I agree with what some members have said with regard to taping the harness prior to placing it into the loom. I use 3M Super 33 as it thick enough to protect the wiring but doesn't leave sticky residue while remaining pliable. I do not recommend 3M Super 88 (having used it already) as it leaves more of a mess than when you first broke into the harness.

This is an old thread, but I just had to chime in here due to something I recently discovered. If you use Super 33+ to wrap your harness under the hood, you're gonna have a bad time... if you have to pull it apart in a few years. I had my radiator fan harness taped up with this stuff. I just had to rebuild this small harness due to my WG dump tube falling off and some wires getting a bit toasty. Let me tell you, it most definitely turns to NASTY GOO after a few years. I probably wrapped this up with super 33+ close to 10 years ago. It moved from 1411/2000 to 555/1000 when I put 555 together. When i took it apart, it was a disgusting mess and i had to clean everything up with acetone to get the black goo off. The gooey parts weren't even near a lot of heat. Most of it was behind the passenger side headlight.

I just received 3 rolls of the proper stuff to wrap a harness with, and it is a a NON ADHESIVE electrical tape. 99% of the tape under the hood is of the dry vinyl aka "non adhesive" type. No adhesive needed. The factory just tied it off at the ends so it would stay put. This is why you cannot simply unravel it easily once you find the end. Some of the wiring in the cabin has a light adhesive on it, but it is also special in some regard. It is a "non fogging" type of tape. If you're not using this stuff, you may well wind up with a constant fog or film accumulating on your windshield, especially after the car has sat out in the heat for a bit. Super 33+ is good stuff, but it's not good to use in a long term automotive application. I won't even use it on a car anymore.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned