The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Catalytic Conv....cut it off?

jnava

Staff member
How many of you still have them on. I still do but I see no reason at this point. Plus, if I want to use any of the zinc oils, its going to ruin the catalytic converter anyway.

MellowVR4

CUT IT, go to the scrap yard and get your 50$. Thats if its original?

jnava

Staff member
No, it's an aftermarket Catco 3".

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Stock exhaust?

You can always set up your exhaust with flanges, so you can add in the catalytic if needed, and remove it with a four bolt swap and install a catalytic delete pipe.

Or, pull it and call it a day by installing a delete pipe, flanged or not.

If you are upgrading your exhaust to something like Megan piping, choice will be yours when the pipe arrives.

Yes, the high performance oils will reduce the life span of your catalytic. I smell like I have been mowing my lawn, after some tweaking outside the car with it running. That said, it only puffs rich at idle when the ISC isn't keeping up, all other driving scenarios ... she's a low polluter. I believe I'm living in a time other than the 1960's and I put my kid in his booster, in the back seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

We do have emissions/smog testing in most highly populated areas between Ottawa and Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

To each their own, game on.

Last edited:

vr4play

The cat will make it quieter if that matters. It will be much louder without it. We took the high flow cat off my buddies TT and he noticed a difference so there is power to be gained. All up to you.

jnava

Staff member
Its flanged for the o2 housing but it expands to 3" from that point on. I'll cut that sucker off here in the next few days before I go back to work. I think the FP18g will probably like the removal of the cat.

matt92vr4

Exhaust will sound much better too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I love hearing the turbo out the back.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned