The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Engine break in oil??

ggsxkid

first of let me say that my engine build is a ross/scat setup with acl race bearings. im getting ready to put 1692 back together and start her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But more importantly i was wondering what everyone uses to break ther built engines in?? ive recently went to a speed shop down here in nashville and they had specific break in oils /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif. so sure enough mice start running wheels in my head. they had two different companys one was brad penn and joe gibbs. but the shop i went to was more of a muscle car shop than anything. so these break in oils were formulated with very high zinc ratings, since zinc is just about all gone in every oil. the higher zinc ratings was actully to better off a flat tappet cam v8 engine when breaking in a new cam and lifters. not sure if i wanna put it in my engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

but basically i was just wanting to get some opinions and to see whether or not people have used these specific break in oils or atlest have even heard good things from them??

if i used this stuff my plan was to do the 500 mile break in with the break in oil change it and do another filter buy more and maybe go another 3000 miles with in the engine just to make sure the rings seat. then after that 3000 swap to mobil 1.

heres links to the two sites

brad penn break in oil
joe gibbs break in oil

let me know what you guys think!

Thanks, Adam

Last edited:

prove_it

there is no real special break in oil, it's a myth. Just use a good brand 10w-40 oil and fill it up. When you start the engine for the first time let it run til it gets to operating temp, shut it down and drain oil while hot. Let it cool and get as much oil out as you can. After that go for a drive, seat the rings, come home change oil. Drive for 50 miles, after it cools, come home change oil, this time look for anything bad in the oil. After that change oil at 100-200, then 500, then 1000, then every 2500-3000 pending on usage. You go through a lot of oil in the start up phase. Unless your rich, just use a brand name conventional oil. I like Rotella because it contains Zinc, not as much as higher end racing oil, but enough to reduce wear in turbos. (and you can get 3 gallons for 30 buckS!)

4thStroke

I know Jesse (Revolution Motorsport) likes the Brad Penn oil. Im sure its not a bad idea.

I used non detergent oil for the first 50 miles or so in mine, then switched to dino oil. Im only at ~1400 miles so I have yet to pour in the synthetic.

Last edited:

Woody

I follow the AMS breakin guide and my friends motor runs good and strong with no problems.

ggsxkid

Quoting prove_it:
there is no real special break in oil, it's a myth. Just use a good brand 10w-40 oil and fill it up. When you start the engine for the first time let it run til it gets to operating temp, shut it down and drain oil while hot. Let it cool and get as much oil out as you can. After that go for a drive, seat the rings, come home change oil. Drive for 50 miles, after it cools, come home change oil, this time look for anything bad in the oil. After that change oil at 100-200, then 500, then 1000, then every 2500-3000 pending on usage. You go through a lot of oil in the start up phase. Unless your rich, just use a brand name conventional oil. I like Rotella because it contains Zinc, not as much as higher end racing oil, but enough to reduce wear in turbos. (and you can get 3 gallons for 30 buckS!)

i went to an advance and all i could find was 15w- 40 rotella which was diesel engine oil. where can you find the 10w-40??

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Just use the cheapest non synthetic oil you can find for break in and change it as often as you can. When I broke in my motor I followed the AMS and the mototuneusa instructions and the motor was solid for the first 5k miles while I had it and I'm sure it will go a lot longer.

My motor was put in by a friend who own an oil change place (kinda like Jiffy Lube but better) so he changed the oil several times on it.

After everything was buttoned up we fired up the car and I kept it at 2k rpm for about 2-3min while him and another guy checked for leaks or unusual noises. Turned it off and drained the oil and changed the filter. Took it for a short drive 2-3 miles of easy driving to fill up with gas and get dsmlink dialed in. Went back to the shop and changed the oil/filter. Got on the highway and did 2 pulls at 25% throttle from 3k rpm to about 5k and let it come rev down in gear (didn't hit the brakes). Then few pulls at 50% throttle from 3k to 6k and few more at 75% throttle to 7k rpm.
Last few pulls were at 100% throttle all the way to 7.5k rpm. Went back to the shop and changed the oil/filter. We used regular 10w40 Valvoline oil. I drove the car home and then back to the shop the following weekend and he changed the oil/filter for me again. Car had about 200 miles then. I changed the oil again at 1k, 2k and at 3k miles I went with 5w30 synthetic.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned