The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cars knocking bad

kindawg

So I recently picked up a 91 Galant vr4 from a friend. Here's a quick story of the car.

He drove it home one night, went to start it in the morning, and it would not start. He thought it was a fuel pump, changed that, didn't work. He let the car sit for 1.5 Years. I then bought it, put a ECU in it and it was like new. The car originally had a keydiver chip on it, I took it out and put it in the new ecu, here is what the chip has:

keydiver
10/14/03
E931
NO FUELCUT
8500 rev limit
4500 STUTTERBOX
KNOCK GAUGE
A/C CUTOUT
6000 RPM CLUTCHCUT

Now it has the factory boost gauge, working as a knock gauge. When I start the car up, its ok, if I step on the gas at all, the knock rise 2-3 bars on the gauge. If I put the car in gear and get going, its fully lit up, all the bars on the knock gauge. I thought at first the car had bad gas from sitting, but I just filled up on a new tank, and its still doing it this whole tank. It mostly knock like this when the car is cold. after I drive it about 20 minutes, the knock levels go down. Is this normal for a car to knock like this when its not fully warmed up?

Here are the mods to the car:

Keydiver chip listed above.
3' Turboback exhaust
greddy proflec spec-2 boost controller
walbro 255
AFPR

I have the AFPR set at 28psi at idle. with a vaccum line attached. I never dealt with a greddy boost controller, no idea how to work it. I have an Evo X and it has a 3 port, and has been tuned professionally so I never need to touch it. This controller has a High/Low and off. I have no idea wtf is going on with it, so idk if that could cause any problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

AnotherNewb

To start with your fuel pressure is too low. Should be 38psi with no vacuum line connected. Check the CAS to make sure it isn't jacked completely in one direction or another, verify proper timing with a timing light.

How much 'dead' gas was in it when you filled it up?

mikus

^ yea
Set your fuel pressure @ 37psi
Set your base timing
Run a boost leak test.

All three can easily be done wrong, VFAQ.COM has solid instructions for all of these.

kindawg

That is not my car,

this is:
click,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=812160&Search=true&where=&Name=9931&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post813903

what is the best way to set the fuel pressure? take off the vaccum line and set it to 38psi? then do I reattach the line after?

mikus

I'd actually first, do a positive air leak test on teh AFPR right where the vacuum goes in, at around 20psi or so. These can often leak at the adjustment screw. I use good teflon tape here if it does. As well check that your FP gauge reads good - it should increase 1/1 with the pressure you introduced, so 20psi = 20psi.

Now that you know that's in top shape, disconnect that same vacuum line lead, and adjust fuel pressure to 37.5psi (38 is the safer rounding) with car running. REconnect vacuum and done.

Specter

I would like to know how effective is this stock boost gauge being used as knock gauge? I would like to do it too till i get proper logging equipment.

The_Big_Weave

This sounds like phantom knock, check. Your sensor to see if its leaking goop. How much lifter tick are you getting might need to switch to 3g liters.

kindawg

I can hear the ticking like crazy, I've had DSM's before and it def sounds like lifter tick. Could the sensor be mixing them up? ill have to check my sensor for "phantom Knock"

I mean, I went for a drive on the interstate, cruising at 70, it was getting a few lights on the knock gauge, i thought that was crazy.

mikus

Each light = 5 counts. 1-2 bars (or 5-10 knock count) isn't good but neither is it dire.

If you haven't done it yet, check your base timing, fuel pressure, and do a boost leak test. This should be on the "do before daily drive" list for ANY 4G63 you purchase, as you never know what you've bought.

Those are step 1. Confirm them and check back, otherwise you're getting nothing but guesses here

AnotherNewb

Quoting Specter:
I would like to know how effective is this stock boost gauge being used as knock gauge? I would like to do it too till i get proper logging equipment.

All you have to do is get an eprom burned that changes the boost gauge to a knock sum gauge, easy as that... assuming you have a socketed ECU already, and since your burning an eprom you might as well get the usual upgrades done to the chip.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned