The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

carpet cleaning

prove_it

So what has everyone done to clean stains out of the carpet?

SleepinGVR4

I went so far as to remove the entire carpet and steam cleaning it. Only to have a drain in the sunroof develop a hole and leak water on my carpet again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

turbowop

Pull it out of the car and take it to the local DIY carwash. Spray the sh*t out of it then use their vacuums to get most of the water out. Take home and let dry outside for two days.

cspetros

I'm going to tear out my carpet one of these days and replace the foam matting underneath. It's got 19 years worth of spilled soakage molding away in it. It definitely has the funk going on. I hear that carpet places let you have matting scraps for free. We'll see.

curtis

^ That's what I did, They gave me some super heavy duty pieces for nothing, as for cleaning I had the steam cleaning company do it once but last fall I did the wife's x terra with the pressure washer and some cleaner I got from dollar general. I think its called simply amazing or simple awesome either way the car looked brand new inside when done. Another trick after the biggest part of the water is gone is to re install and put a dehumidifier in the car and let it run over night. I had to do this because I pressure washed her seats as well.

lunchbox

Quoting turbowop:
Pull it out of the car and take it to the local DIY carwash. Spray the sh*t out of it then use their vacuums to get most of the water out. Take home and let dry outside for two days.

Yes. This is the way to do it. You can DIY with a pressure washer and simple green.

LARGE_IMG_1606.JPG

Before

LARGE_IMG_1611.JPG

After

Dialcaliper

An effective, inexpensive way is to go rent a "rug-doctor" or similar steam cleaner from the grocery store. Make sure to rent the extra "upholstery hose" attachment, which you will use exclusively. The rental should cost ~$25 or so.

Instead of buying the expensive (and heavily diluted) cleaners that they say to use, use plain Woolite laundry detergent, or the "low foaming" version (diluted in water per the bottle instructions for hand washing).

After you clean it, empty the machine and go over again with plain water to make sure all of the detergent is removed, then let the car dry out (a dehumidifier will help).

While you're at it, use it to clean up any stains in your house or apartment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4wheelsqueal

Castrol super clean works really good for getting out really bad stains but if you use it full strength, it can lighten the color. i start with 50/50 cleaner and water mix to see if that takes care of it and go from there. also have to rinse it really good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned