The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dying carpet instead of painting. Update w/ pics!

talon

I've been working on the interior of the Galant, trying to figure out how to make my carpet look new. I've seen threads where people paint the carpet with that duplicolor, and it seems like a big pain in the ass. Aside from that I don't want my carpet streaked up!! Besides, i hear it can wear off in busy spots.

Yesterday while grocery shopping I walked down the canning aisle and I seen Rit Dye.

Has anybody tried this before????

Last edited:

4thStroke

I just did this. It turned out great. I have to reinstall the carpet though.

I had to do 3 cycles to get it dark enough, but that wasnt much of a problem.

381gvr4

^^Pics please. Ive also been planning on going to blk.

Yes, pics please (if you can)! My carpet is out right now as well. Although I steamed it with a Bissell Steamer. Not sure if I want to go that far though. Most of my stains are below where mats can cover.

I did the carpet in 253 this way before I sold it to Jesse Withrow, it came out really good for how bad it started, here's a half 'n' half before and after pic. if you have sections that are especially faded you might want to spot treat those with the dye first, as they will take a bit more time/soaking to really even up the color. I used an automotive carpet dye, but it seemed the same as rit liquid dye. I used I spray bottle to do the aplication.

blar224.jpg

blar223.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

prove_it

I want to see a how-to on this. I'm no good with these kind of things but now this it on the top of my to do list.

talon

Ok so I dyed my carpet with Rit Dye and it turned out AWESOME!!!

Pics:

This is when I was pressure washing it. It looks like somebody had tried to clean it before. Took an hour before no more suds came off while washing it.

6 bottles of Rit Dye, and about 8 hours of soaking. This is the result. Lighting isn't great, and the carpet is still wet.

Anybody got any idea what the hell these things are? There were about 20 of them under my carpet!!

You guys will never guess who I ran into in Wall-Mart buying the dye. Cuba Gooding Jr. He was a really nice guy and even went to lunch with me at McDonald's (in Wall-Mart). He is filming a movie called "Battle Field Los-Angeles". He let me take this picture of him, unfortunately I had nobody to take the picture with me in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Nobody recognized him for a long time, until we were in McDonald's and I was talking about Jerry Mcquire and he said "Show me the money!!" LOL

4thStroke

6 bottles and 8 hours?! Holy hell. I used 3 bottles and let it sit for maybe 2 hours. Yours may have came out darker than mine.

Did you see how mine turned out in the, "updating the interior - not wop approved," thread?

I found some random sh*t under my carpet, too. Its kind of funny to see the things people lose in the car. I unearthed a few bucks in change, hair clips, broken sun glass pieces, and a little bear.

Last edited:

talon

Yea I seen yours, and it looks good. I wanted to make sure mine was dark black, so thats why I used so much dye and let it set so long.

There were a bunch of condoms under the carpet, along with some makeup and alot of what looked like poppy seeds. Those things I pictured got me stumped though. They are aluminum, and a little bit of weight on them. I just cant figure out what they are.

Last edited:

turbowop

Carpet looks good. Pressure washing it is FTW, and it's always interesting the first time you pull up the carpet on a previously owned car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

That's crazy that Cuba was shopping around WalMart. Luke would be proud. You should post that pic on peopleofwalmart.com. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

381gvr4

The carpet came out awesome!!!!

dsmgst

Quoting 4thStroke:
Sounds like you should give those seats a good cleaning, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned