The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car is sputtering, and barley moves

14of2000

So, update time. I got a brand new set of plug wires, installed them and still doing the same damn thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I was wondering, could it possibly be the fuel injectors? I have used the palm to disable the injectors at idle, and they all bog the car down, so they work fine at idle. I am open to other suggestions, I really need to get my car back up and running soon. Thanks guys!

14of2000

Annnnnd I'm pretty sure I found the problem. This is my fuel filter, I couldn't blow through it so I'm pretty sure I wasn't getting enough fuel to the rail. Which might also explain my white-ish plugs.

vr4play

Your probably going to have to send your injectors out and have them cleaned. I had the same thing happen to me just not quite as bad. I was at the strip and it started leaning out. Replaced the filter and days later it started to run bad.

14of2000

Flying eagle, I'm not sure how it's suppose to go in there. I'm pretty sure the filter failed totally. They sell replacement filters for it and they look nothing like this lol

And vr4play, ya I'm pretty sure that's gonna have to happen. I took it around the block and it did the same thing. So my injectors definatley need to cleaned now as well.

When I replaced the filter it was dark out and I didn't see the crap that came out until today. The gas was a dark tanish color when it came out of the old filter. I also found a pretty substantial exhaust leak from the manifold to the turbo. So that can also be part of this issue too. Looks like I have my work cut out for me in this awesome -20 degree weather lol

EfiniX

Quoting vr4play:
Your probably going to have to send your injectors out and have them cleaned. I had the same thing happen to me just not quite as bad. I was at the strip and it started leaning out. Replaced the filter and days later it started to run bad.

Absolutely this. I just had to replace my whole motor because of a failed injector.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Have you inspected your fuel tank lately?

With the filter spewing out collected stuff that comes direct from the tank, better to inspect now before you have more of the same coming forward. I don't know when the filter was installed and or if it was used before going on this car. Little things that can hold back a project with unknowns until you have "your" eye on them to be 100% certain. Also, even if the tank is clean now, some of these cars now have a second or third fuel tank in them, and lines running to the engine bay could have something in them also. When you get this sorted, see what pumps out of the lines before the filter, into an empty 2L pop jug (take the necessary fuel handling precautions!!) and see if the fuel is exactly the color of what you drained in with your jerry can.

vr4play

It looks to be to be internally identical to the Golan fuel filter that I had. The problem was the design. There is not enough area and they clog up very fast and since its pleated it unravels the pleats and blows open letting crap by into your injectors. I would recommend getting a different fuel filter. I switched to a holly paper/gauze type element that is E85 compatible. I would advise something similar as the metal screen filters need more maintenance and are know for failing just like that one.

prove_it

My Oem is still running fine, even with 45-70 psi at times with E85....

14of2000

Ok, So I pulled the injectors, and I was able to scrape out a ton of what looked like rust and black tar. Even after 15 mins of cleaning 1 injector, It was still crusted inside. So needless to say, I think I found the issue lol

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Had a peek inside your fuel tank yet? Likely you can access it from the level sender versus the dreaded fuel pump removal with likely, rusty metal hard lines.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned