The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car is dead r.i.p

Well it looked like I needed some lifters but when I started the car after an oil change to move it . The car started fine idle was fine backed out the pulled it back in then car just stopped like the battery was dead I put a new battery and it just clicks real loud and I get smoke that smells like electric fire coming from the starter area . Also it will not cluch start either I think the motor ceased as the cams will not turn And when I try a cluch start it just locks the wheels ..... So 3k down the drain ...just gonna park it and Wait for a sighn from god... As now my radiator blew up on my montero ...this has been a great weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

boostedinaz

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Kinda of a pain but you could pull the timing belt off and see if the bottom end still moves. Just becareful and don't turn it to much as the pistons will hit the valves. If the bottom end does turn then it might be just a messed up head. Not good news but better than a whole new motor.

Any thoughts on a price for a dead 1101? Just tire kicking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Brunoboy

That sucks, and grammar check.

ouch man. i feel yah. i was driving mine today and it started over heating. so i put teh heat on full and went down the highway to cool it off. i know what its like to lsoe a 4g63... its not fun. i hope it works out for you.

3rdstrikedsm

Car dead? Call Fred! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

well the car will sit till I have more $$$$$$$ for whatever it needs this was my dream car and I will make it right again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

boostedinaz

^^^

Good to hear. Let's get it back up and running.

Whenever you have time let me know thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well tried to turn the crank in nuetral and it will not turn at all this sux oh well f&$# it time for a new motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

boostedinaz

Did you take the timing belt off? If not then the cams are still connected to the crank and can cause it to not spin.

I do asume the cams are ok as I pulled the valve cover off and I dont see and damage of any kind heck even if I put the car in any gear and rock it back and forth the cams domt move or budge at all

mpt72

Mine called it quits like 2 weeks ago, so I feel your pain. That, and the injector seats on my truck took a dive, irs wants like 4800, and other things. Overwhelming, but good luck. Moral support and all...

Haha I know I just got an irs letter ...great and I looked at my pistons through the spark plugs and none look out of wack . I need to buy the user manual and just quit listening to people I tried using a 5w30 oil when I changed my oil to see if the lifter knock would stop and it got louder then it seem to quiet down then it just stopped so I dont know whats good or bad yikes probly gonna just get a complete swap from ebay

boostedinaz

Most stock lifters will tick while the oil is thick. As the oil warms up it will thin out a bit and the lifter tick will go away. It's not a huge issue other than the annoying noise. The only true way to get rid of it is to upgrade to the 3rd gen lifter that have a larger oil hole.

As for the motor be careful with "guaranteed 30K mile motors" because they can rarely prove that the car they came out of had that milage on it. Until you get the motor in your posetion it is hard to tell the true condition of it. Depending on the price it might be worth rebuilding the stock motor.

The other thing with lifters is, if they are loud enough our knock sensor can pick up on it and pull timing. That happened to me a few times so it can be worse than just the sound. But it looks like you have other problems right now to work on.

Ya I dont know what happen but it does not seem to be a rod but I wont know untill I get it of the car

Nartanian

Sorry to hear man. Don't give up on it though. It'll be rewarding when it's done.

Well the work begins I.have rec a new short block 6 bolt so gonna pull the motor and see what the damage is .... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned