The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator question

Hello I have a 91 vr4, I've had it for about 9 months and never really had any problems with it until about 2 weeks ago. I never had any alternator or battery issues before like it always started fine and never died, but then one day while i was driving it, all the warning lights on the dash started flashing and the car wont rev over 2500. I unplugged the battery for a while and let it sit there and then tried to start it again but the battery was completely dead, so I put in a different battery, started it and checked the voltage and it read almost 18 volts. My friend had a rebuilt alternator from his 1g that he never used so I pulled mine out and put that one in, started it up and everything seemed to be good, the volts were at 14.5. I drove the car throughout the night while checking the voltage every so often just to make sure and it always stayed. When I got home I checked it one last time and it was still 14.5, the next morning I started it up and noticed that the battery and brake light were dimly light up, checked the volts and it was down to 12 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and also when it was running the idle sounded really rough except it was sitting at 800rpm with no surge or anything and also when I shut the car off there is a noise coming from the back of the car that sounds like the fuel pump and it doesn't stop unless I disconnect the battery. Now my question is could the alternator took a crap over night like that? and why would one over charge and the new rebuilt one not charge at all.. I hope that all made sense and thank you from anything you can tell me.

ktmrider

Welcome, learn the search function as this is discussed all the time.

No the car did not destroy the alternator the chain store rebuilt alternator is likely crap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned