The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cams

Jesh

i'm looking to make 400ish awhp, and i know cams are gunna help get me there. i don't want 272's due to the fact this is my DD. well... its the only car i have period lol. i was considering 264's i have a B16G and i like the power to come on hard at about 3500, but still be well mannered at lower rpms, i have a AEM EMS so i can tune the idle and compensate for valve overlap exc... but what i'dd like to know is there anyone with 264 cams, what are your thought's on them, and when do they start making a difference, and is the car still fairly drivable? i mean i know i'm gunna sacrifice some drivability if i have 400hp, but i don't wanna have to keep it at 3000rpms to keep the motor running. any input would be appreciated:)

Brunoboy

264/272 is common

JSchleim18

I am looking to do the same as you. What I have noticed is for your turbo setup, a cam with a short duration and high lift would be ideal. With the short duration like a 264, it'll keep the low end torque where you want it and the higher lift will help the motor keep pulling hard until the turbo runs out of air. Look into a kelford 264/260 camshaft set up or the GSC S1 cams.

The kelfords are 264 11mm lift intake, 260 10.5mm lift exhaust while the GSC's are 268 11mm lift and 268 10.5mm lift exhaust. These cams are about $550 but IMO, well worth the money bc the cam dictates where the power will come on and shut off. Then there's the HKS 264 setup which is proven and while not ass good as a Kelford or GSC, they can be had for about $300 used.

The 264/272 combo IMO is overhyped bc it only had one HP more than a regular 264 setup with the same torque numbers according to the AMS test.

Lonewolf64

click
That is a link to the aforementioned AMS cam test. Personally I run HKS 264/264 cams. There is absolutely no noticeable low end loss of power, but the car pulls a TON harder in the mid-range all the way up to 7500rpm. The clear winner from the AMS cam test are the HKS 264/264 cams if you are running a 16g.

Jesh

thanks for the info, good stuff. i think i'll go with the 264/264, i think thats what i'm looking for. and besides if i don't like it, its not like its irreversible.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned