The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Idle with 264/272 cams

cheekychimp

I've spoken to a couple of you guys who ran the HKS 264/272 cams. I picked up a set a while ago but never fitted them mainly because I've now got a rock steady idle with my stock cams and my mechanic says he'll never achieve as good an idle with the 264/272 combo. I know essentially he's right but for those of you that had this combo in the car how good/bad was the idle and did the performance gains make up for it? I don't really need the extra power and the car is near perfect to drive at the moment so I'm leaning with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality". However if I can get a good idle and not compromise on driveability, I'm also thinking "why not?"

Should I go for it or not?

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

The idle RPM may need to be a bit higher than stock when running big cams. I have mine set at 1000 RPM.
Here's a video of the throttle response and how they sound on a 3" full flow exhaust on my GVR4:
click

swe_gvr4_1991

It's 100% authentic. I have a light weight flywheel in combination with the 272's also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

strokin4dr

I have 272's (In/Ex) with a lightweight flywheel also. Perfect idle at 800 rpms. Not even choppy at all.
I really think most of these "idle horror" stories are due to other problems with the car that are exacerbated and more noticeable when larger cams are installed.

92_talon_awd

My 2g with a 6-bolt had HKS 280's (genuine) and a fidanza flywheel. Idled perfect. When I told people it was cammed they were surprised.

AllanL

i've got stable idle at approx 850rpms and idle vacuum at 17inHg...

with this combination on stcok gears, i've had to adjust the base timing, since it went from the stock/required 5deg BTDC on the stock cams to TDC with the 264/272.

ghostinthevr4

Quoting cheekychimp:
I've spoken to a couple of you guys who ran the HKS 264/272 cams. I picked up a set a while ago but never fitted them mainly because I've now got a rock steady idle with my stock cams and my mechanic says he'll never achieve as good an idle with the 264/272 combo. I know essentially he's right but for those of you that had this combo in the car how good/bad was the idle and did the performance gains make up for it? I don't really need the extra power and the car is near perfect to drive at the moment so I'm leaning with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality". However if I can get a good idle and not compromise on driveability, I'm also thinking "why not?"

Should I go for it or not?

You need a better mechanic and someone who knows what there doing with these cars! I had both the 264/272 combo and 272/272 combo they both idle like stock. With the 264/272 combo no one will know you have cams there pretty mild but the do make more power. The response is really good and you will have a bit more top end. You can get that idle to a stock 750rpm if your using link, adding timing also helps when running bigger cams.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned