The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BC 288 cams

Rausch

Quoting Olson:
Quoting TheBoz:
I would not waste any money of BC cams. Get yourself some Kelford cams. 280's would work very well, however if you are going to spin that motor up there 288 will kick ass also. But ditch the BC cams.

could you tell me your thought on the bc 280s. I'm running them and have no problem at all i they are a def improvement.

Over stock- absolutely. Are they better down low, of course not. But this particular cam manufacturer seems to have an issue with centerlines and spec. accuracy.

Seems they almost *need* to be degreed right out of the box. You'll make far more power up top over a stocker or much smaller duration, but in relation to other 'drop in' cams of similar design- these have built a reputation for a need to take those extra steps to be competitive.

4thStroke

Quoting Olson:
hu interesting well thanks for the info.
i dont want to make this a flame fest but my buddy Biglady112 made 461 hp with is 1.6 with bc280s. I think that is respectable

Throwing 461 without any other details does very little to surprise anyone.

Whos not to say something else would even help the car make more power?

There was a Comp 272 vs BC 280 thread on Tuners a whole back. Some interesting stuff came up, you might want to check that out.

Im like you, theboz, you wont find a BC product on my car.

Brianawd

Picking cams based on what peak hp some one else made is just plane stupid. Pick your cams based on when and where you want your HP and TQ to be for your given set up.
Over the years I have seen so many people think bigger is better. I don't know how many dyno charts I have see where people on say a 35r make 650+hp but out on the street or track they get spanked by cars with less HP because they have a more usable power band.

Oh and I rank BC cams right up there with Web cams. They may sound all cool and lumpy at idle but when push comes to shove they just don't make the power.

Last edited:

Being a Kelford dealer the 288 cams are kind of big for a 2.0 on a 40R. I would suggest the 280 cams for a 40r. On a car we just built recently we made 700whp with a PTE 6262 billet on 110 octane and that was with Kelford 272. The other problem is no one really stocks the 288 they usually take a few weeks to get. The BC 288 cams are not that bad you will just need some adjustable cam gears and a little more dyno time to get the power out of them. The FP/Comp 4R and 5R are also nice cams. The 5R is very aggressive . If you had a 42R i would run the 11R cams . Do you have the 4088 or the 4094?

onesickcrx

I have BC 272's I am switching to Kelfords in 2011 just throwing it out there

Olson

for what reason are u switching it for

onesickcrx

I have seen a few good dyno sheets and with nothing else changed they seem to make the most power from bottom to top out of most of the cams out there BC's being on the lower half of all the cams

I have had 0 issues with my cams just preference I guess

I don't care how my ideal sounds I just like having the best parts in my car that out perform others

turboaddict

I didnt think that they made FP5 and 5/11 cams any more? Also from what you have seen how do the FP5/11 compare to the kelford 288? thanks.

Galantvr41062

Import people are funny when it comes to valve spring specs. This is not an insult I was in this boat until about 10 months ago, I now work at a domestic performance shop. According to the Crower 288 cam card, I have these cams in my motor, you need to run a spring with a seat pressure of 70-80 lbs and 200-210 lbs full open or over the noise pressure. I have a valve spring form a company out of Australia that is pretty much a Crower single valve spring and a shaved down chrome moly retainer. With a few shims I have over the 70lbs of seat pressure with my installed height and a solid 225 lbs of full open pressure. The one thing you need to watch out for is coil bind, I am more then .050" from this so I am good to go.

~John

WesS

Quoting Terrance362:
So what dose everyone think Kelfod 280's or BC 280's????

Kelfords are nice and make the power but are they worth twice the cost for 20hp. I would think you could make that up elsewhere in the car/motor and still have some money left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Kelfords are not twice as much and a lot closer in price than you think. I sell them for 529.99 shipped and i give 10% off to GVR4.org members : )

Gordian79

BC cams are crap.-20 hp -25ft tq with BC 280s over Comp 101200.Moving cam gears yielded in nothing but sh*t results.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned