The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bumper latches

Lofty

I've looked into many things for a rear bumper support.

I can't find one, I don't want to put that big hunk of metal back in there anyways. Yes, I know it's for safety, that's fine.

I've looked into Protex Latches, Quik-Latches, everything. What do you do to make the rear bumper not sag without a support?

Someone has to have done this.

I'm leaning towards protex, however I'm not sure if it would sag, our rear bumpers are weird.

James

I met this guy with a super clean civic that had his bumpers held on my latches. Took him 30 seconds to pull his bumpers off. He said he had been running ten for over a year and everything seemed supported pretty good.

Lofty

Yeah, that would be the idea. Fronts would be no problem but there is no way to make the top center of the rear not sag. I'm at a loss.

James

It was to long ago for me to recall the placement of the rear ones. Maybe you could snag one from underneath? Would add a few seconds to your removal time but not much

slugsgomoo

if you don't want it to sag, it'll need support. I think there's a thread in tech about someone making an aluminum bar to hold it properly, as well as someone using a volvo bar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

The easiest way to cut that stupid beam out is to get a JDM bumper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, for what it's worth, 5mph bumpers aren't for safety, they're to reduce damage to the car in parking lot bumps.

rdomeck

Quoting James:
I met this guy with a super clean civic that had his bumpers held on my latches. Took him 30 seconds to pull his bumpers off. He said he had been running ten for over a year and everything seemed supported pretty good.

Why would you need to remove you bumper in 30 seconds??? Seams like a lot of work when a stock one pulls off in a couple of minutes!

ade

because he can.

mitsuturbo

BECAUSE RACECAR!

Seriously. This is one of the less good ideas i've seen on this forum. HOLDING THE BUMPER ON WITH LATCHES?! Seriously? While you're at it, why not just remove all the glass and replace the windscreen with lexan? Maybe drill 4 holes in the hood, remove the latch and hinges, and keep it on with some hood pins? Hell, why not convert to one-lug wheels too? When you're done putting the latches on, you can go here: click and get some more RACECAR parts!

JNR

If you're looking for quick release (for whatever reason), maybe use dzus (1/4 turn) fasteners and add a support in the middle with a threaded hole. The heads can be flush to body that use their tool (or a large, thin flathead screwdriver), or you can get the ones that are designed to be hand turned, but probably not a good idea on a bumper with all the clowns out there thinking it's funny to fukk around.

As for support, dense polystyrene bonded on one side to the metal frame and the bumper sits on top of it, where it would otherwise sag...light and strong/easy to 'machine'. Unless you want it to be ugly or you can hide it somehow, I'd forgo any fasteners and just let the wedge (poly) do the work.

Another option if you have a lot of gap, is to bond a stiffener to the 'plastic' bumper underside, to prevent it from any sag. A tee, square or angle mounted at 45 deg (so both ends of the legs touch) would work nice.

Last edited:

Lofty

Wow, some of you really are ignorant. (Really only one person)

I live in Wisconsin, my car is a rusty pile, I'm not going out of my way to buy a bumper support that's already crusty and rusty and pay to have it shipped to me.
The MAIN purpose to have latches was to make it easier to access my fuel pump, fuel filter, and scoop I have for my trunk to run the fuel lines out, as well as access my killswitch.
561028_10150722292572556_75985153_n.jpg

The stock fastener spots are screwed, so latches appeared to be the next option.

Either way, I fabbed up L-brackets with hitch pins for an easy disconnect and it is already together.

Since it's such a "because racecar" stupid idea that is put in the same spot as one lug wheels, I guess I will not share what it looks like here.
For the people that weren't ignorant, thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. Thanks JNR, those are a bunch of good ideas I haven't really though of, which was the point of me making this thread, so thanks for that!
295472_10151002160177556_1508306484_n.jpg

Better take my fire extinguisher out too, that must be a stupid idea.

Last edited:

ade

Quoting Lofty:
Since it's such a "because racecar" stupid idea that is put in the same spot as one lug wheels, I guess I will not share what it looks like here.

AWW MAN!!!!

u best put it up on your build thread, unless... ill think its a stupid idea.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned