The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

? Installing rear JDM Bumper without JDM bumper support?

citymunky

I have a JDM rear bumper, and I just figured out I never got the metal bumper support for it. I found this out when I pulled my USDM support from my stock bumper and looking at my JDM bumper I knew there was no way that it would fit the JDM bumper. Doing some searching I found that JDM bumpers supports were different for FWD and AWD models, but that's about it.
Before I go chopping up my USDM rear bumper support, I wanted to see if anybody got the USDM support to work or modding a bumper support from a diffident car or made their own bumper support. Without a welder I'm not really trying to fab one up if I can help it. Any pointers or tips would be helpful thanks.

127986-0-0-0.jpg

Before I go chopping up my USDM rear bumper support, I wanted to see if anybody got the USDM support to work or modding a bumper support from a diffident car or made their own bumper support. Without a welder I'm not really trying to fab one up if I can help it. Any pointers or tips would be helpful thanks.

Last edited:

citymunky

????

kama1

You have to drill 4 new holes (above the square hole that accepts the 4wd bracket) to fit to 2wd rear bumper.
Mock it up,youll see where to drill.assuming you found a 2wd jdm rear bracket.

If you were nearer i have a spare here.

Last edited:

Hittman

I heard you can make one...I think one of the OG members did this...

if not contact everspringsports on ebay and see if they can ship you one.

citymunky

^^I'm handy enough to make one, however I don't have any of the tools and equipment I need to do so.

Quoting kama1:
assuming you found a 2wd jdm rear bracket.

Nope I don't have anything besides the USDM support.

slugsgomoo

I would make an aluminum support. Someone did a tech writeup about making one for the usdm bumper, but their process would probably help you get it going.

citymunky

It was Curtis using a Volvo bumper support.

EDIT: and NateCrisman

Quoting NateCrisman:
To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

667664967_8smoZ-L.jpg

667665049_Nece9-L.jpg

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Here are the requested pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4946.jpg

IMG_4947.jpg

IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4950.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg

IMG_4953.jpg

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4955.jpg

IMG_4956.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

IMG_4958.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

hope those help ya man.

Mike

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts