The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Short Block rebuild questions

ohmegamike

I've read forums til my eyes hurt! All I want to do is bore and freshen up my short block. I've read about evo9 pistons, 2G pistons on 1G rods, and machining the 1G rods to fit, and so on. I'm not opposed to spending 4-500 on new pistons that will fit the 1G rods, 8.3:1 wiseco or similar. I am hoping to achieve a max of about 400whp. From what I read, the 1G rods are fine for this (correct me if I am wrong). I just want to get this done, keep it simple, and get the car back on the road. Don't think I want to go to the trouble of a stroker crank. I'm figuring about 750.00 for pistons, bearings, and ARP hardware. This is my first time rebuilding a bottom end. Any opinions welcome! Thanks! -Mike

trunks

I think for that price a nice eagle / wiseco combo can be had. I would go that direction and never look back.

ohmegamike

OK, the eagle wiseco combo you're talking about is 750 for JUST rods and pistons right? I'm still going to need bearings, and arp mains...

trunks

Yeah you're right sorry about that. I cannot remember how much all the bearings and hardware run but I don't think that much unless you get the l19 head studs.

Who's putting it together? Machine work?

ohmegamike

I'm probably going to have the machine work done by a local shop. In Cedar Rapids IA I have Sperry Engines, or Stewart's to choose from. I'm not completely sold on either one, and if somebody has a suggestion that's within a reasonable driving distance that would be great. I know there's some places in Davenport, IA too... I don't really want to spend the $$ to ship a block and have the worry of shipping damage...

4nmscle

Full bottom end should be around $1300 shipped. Thats Manley rods w/ arp 2000 bolts, Wiseco 8.3:1 pistons, ARP head studs and main studs, Clevite mains and rod bearings, along with full gasket kit w/ a cometic head gasket. If you want an OEM MLS head gasket (I prefer those over cometic) then it would be slightly more. I would still recommend an OEM oil pump, BS eliminator, port the OFH, and then a few other misc things.

If you are interested in the parts, hit me up and we'll make it happen.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned