The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.0 or 2.3

cheekychimp

Alright guys, I understand this is newbies and not tech, but one of the things we 'try' to promote on this board is constructive advice. At the end of the day it is your car and how you modify it is your choice but we like you to be able to make informed choices and be aware of possible issues even if you choose to go a more unorthodox route.

So with that in mind let's 'try' to answer this guys query by focusing on what he is asking. He has already stated this car will be an autocross and weekend car primarily. To my mind, unorthodox though it might be his choices in this respect are not that crazy. An EVO III 16G will spool very quickly on the car which added with the extra torque created by the additional 300cc displacement should make for good autocross performance. Street driving should be fun as long as he doesn't try and drag out every shift to the redline because although the stock redline should be okay for the stroker that turbo is going to choke and tail off at peak rpms because of all the extra airflow.

The stroker isn't known for producing massive power. Properly built 2.0 litre cars have been proven to be able to produce just as much power as the strokers by making up for displacement with rpms and at the track where higher rpms equal higher trap speeds the 2.0 litre tends to rule. From what I can tell however the OP has no intention of trying to build a drag car and consequently all things being equal and given his modest power goals I'd say he can expect the stroker to give him a 10-15% power advantage over the stock 2.0 litre up to about 6000-6500 rpms since the power will come in earlier. In that sort of area I would expect it to be easier to maximize the power he is able to get out of the EVO III 16G. The EVO III is a 400 hp capable turbo but pushing that much power out of it is beyond the capabilities of all but the best tuners (although using E85 seems to help considerably). I personally would also be concerned about the service life of the turbo if pushed to it's absolute limits like that. It is one thing to experiment to see what you can do, another to tune for daily driving. Nate Crisman is doing insane things with the 14B but he'll be the first to admit he is blowing up engines left, right and centre in the process. Hell he has a whole thread going on it right now.

No-one has even mentioned cam choices in this thread. All this talk about pumps, injectors, FMICs etc but no-one has even touched upon the very two different airflow characteristics of these engines. I guess with stock cams which are designed for low to midrange and with the relatively small turbo being considered perhaps it IS less of an issue and one might argue that for autocross those stock cams would be ideal but chances are that with a little thought and more careful cam choice the OP could increase the top end of the stroker at least to the stock limiter without making the bottom end soft creating an extremely wide power band. Then again, that's a moot point because if you do stick with the 16G it doesn't matter how well the head flows if your turbo can't handle the airflow!

I'd say that with the power you are likely to see from this turbo you will be safe with a stroker. You will have to accept that you will meet the airflow limits of this turbo before you reach the limiter. A logical option is something like a 20G mentioned above but the OP needs to decide based upon his experience and intended use of the car, where he is willing to make sacrifices and where he is not!

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting brunoboy:
thats not true^ some people push limits higher than its written on paper.

Exactly everything is a result of a good tuner which trust me is few and far between like a handful of really great tuners exist in the country and while the rest are good just not able to think outside the box and push the outter edge of the said limits.

Nabeel

2.0 more reliable.

Vr4junkie

Alright thanks for answering all my questions and being all very informative..as for my car I don't plan to auto cross it regularly just every now and then. But for the most time it will be just a street/weekend warrior

Here is my Mod list this of the top of my head

Head gasket unsure which brand to choose
ARP hardware head/internal
ACL rod/main Bearing
4G64 Crank
Manley Stroker Pistons on 1G Rods
2g exhaust manifold
2g Maf
Evo 3 b16g
Cams I was thinking hks272/272 still undecided on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif would like some help on this one never messed with Cams
770cc injectors
FMIC
3in Exhaust cut out
and a few other things I just can't think of

Vr4junkie

how will the 4G64 Crank hold up I been hearing about Strokers breaking cranks??

makedollarz

I love my 2.3l. Jacks trans built it for me back in 04, and I've put 50,000 trouble free miles on it since. I drive it mostly on the weekends, but the extra torque is really nice to have for around town driving, and fun. Started with a 16g, then the bug bit me and started moving up in turbo sizes over the years. 20g,fp green, and now the monster 3586, all on the same 7 year old motor. I think the 2.3l strokers are amazing cause you can zip around without even hitting boost, but also have all the power you could ever need on a street car at the same time.

Chase

Vr4junkie

Quoting makedollarz:
I love my 2.3l. Jacks trans built it for me back in 04, and I've put 50,000 trouble free miles on it since. I drive it mostly on the weekends, but the extra torque is really nice to have for around town driving, and fun. Started with a 16g, then the bug bit me and started moving up in turbo sizes over the years. 20g,fp green, and now the monster 3586, all on the same 7 year old motor. I think the 2.3l strokers are amazing cause you can zip around without even hitting boost, but also have all the power you could ever need on a street car at the same time.

Chase

Hey I wanted to ask you a question since you have a 2.3 and had experience with different turbos and you had your car for some time now. What kind of MPG will I get on a 16g/20g driving normal just commuting to work and back but with out screwing around hitting the throttle?? Just wondering to see how it would be like on a built motor

makedollarz

I'd say the gas is pretty decent, but I don't have any actual mpg numbers. Even with a bigger turbo and bigger injectors you still get pretty decent gas mileage I think, if you floor it everywhere, then your gonna be filling up twice as much.

If your trying to daily it and stay out of boost alot, I'd go with a 2.3l, the extra torque makes the car pretty peppy still and fun to drive. I also use the HKS 272/272.

Last edited:

minneSNOWta

Is anyone using FP3x or FP3 cams for the 2.3? It is discontinued from the FP site, but Comp will still make them.

Vr4junkie

Quoting makedollarz:
I'd say the gas is pretty decent, but I don't have any actual mpg numbers. Even with a bigger turbo and bigger injectors you still get pretty decent gas mileage I think, if you floor it everywhere, then your gonna be filling up twice as much.

If your trying to daily it and stay out of boost alot, I'd go with a 2.3l, the extra torque makes the car pretty peppy still and fun to drive. I also use the HKS 272/272.

Yea that's my plan for this car to have a daily weekend car and use the nx1600 as my primary DD I'll go broke driving the Vr4 . When I was using my Vr4 as a daily driver I was averaging about 18Mpg and about 220mi on a tank had me thinking bigger turbo and injectors dam my MPG is ganna get worser than it already is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Street Surgeon

Quoting clownfish:
Is anyone using FP3x or FP3 cams for the 2.3? It is discontinued from the FP site, but Comp will still make them.

Me.

minneSNOWta

Street Surgeon - Saying just "me" isn't very helpful, but I guess I wasn't specific. Which ones do you have specifically? How do you like them for DD?

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

I have 272s in a 2.3 and it's a similar story, at idle you can barely hear the lope.

raptorWagon

For the most part, like Paul said it all comes down to what your wants and needs for a 2.3 will be. I'll be doing more spirited mountain driving and track use than worrying about a 1/4 mile time. I have the same power goals, slightly different setup because I'll be using a Evo 8 16G, 750s, Delta 272s, and no stock parts being used in the bottom end. I really just have traction to worry about with my car being rwd and 1k lighter than the fat vr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dialcaliper

The FP3 cam is almost, but not quite identical to the FP2 (same lift, same durations, but the intake cam is advanced 5.5 degrees. The ramp on the FP3 is subtly different, but installing and degreeing FP2's and then advancing the intake cam will produce very similar results. Or as mentioned earlier, you can just get the FP3's from Comp.

Quoting clownfish:

Street Surgeon

Quoting clownfish:
Street Surgeon - Saying just "me" isn't very helpful, but I guess I wasn't specific. Which ones do you have specifically? How do you like them for DD?

Fish, you didn't really ask anything other than who had them so that was all I could offer in response. I ran a set of FP3X's on my 2.3l stroker and they seemed very streetable. I have to admit however that I only drove the car for ~700ish miles before it was totaled but with the idle set at 1100 they seemed almost stock which really surprised me.

cheekychimp

Used crank. The Eagle needs machining 9 times out of 10 anyway from what I have heard and since you won't be revving it to the moon, what's the point?

talontyme

Quoting FavNumber:
Okay I think I've decided to go do a 2.3 build. Should I get the eagle 100mm crank or a used crank and get it machined?

Hyundai 6-bolt 2.4 motor/1g head=stroker.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned