The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bov problem

dsmtalontsi95

My bov isn't working quit right. It compressor surges then opens. I've tried to adjust it but no matter what is flutters firs. When it blows off it will let alot of air out like it should just not right away.

prove_it

So when you say your bov do you mean one you made yourself or is it stock or is it one of the other copious amounts of RFL BOV's on the market?

Just giving ya some poo. No anyways what brand is it? also what kind of pipes you got? Actually a pic of your setup would help.

dsmtalontsi95

It's a 2g with a real greddy type s on a sbr front mount. Not recirculated.

Armitage

This is probably not helpful at all, but the GReddy type S has two ports on it. On my car I've got the lower one capped off and the vacuum source connected to the top one and it works great. I don't know if it matters how they're connected but it's worth checking out.

mikus

to acheive the most possible vacuum at the earliest point, make sure
- vacuum line to BOV is as large a line as possible, straight to intake mani
- vacuum line to BOV not split off/shared
- you have no vacuum leaks (boost leak test)

...if those conditions are met, look at your BOV next. Did the setup open earlier before, or was it always like this?

Greddy's are know to cause surge a little, no matter what vacuum port or what screw adjustment is made.

Whats your turbo size?

dsmtalontsi95

old school frank 3, but that is comming off once I can get this damn car running right.

mikus

please post up if you have any changes/success, I've been chasing the same issue with some improvements but not 100% satisfied

I get decent blowoff in 1st-4th now after working with different BOV's and vacuum configs, but only if I come off throttle fully. Partial throttle-off sometimes surges, esp. in 5th at full boost. This is workable/seems reasonably normal but I'd like to improve BOV response more. This is on:
- e16g @ 23psi
- 2" hot, 2.5" cold FMIC to a big plenum intake, 264 cams
- 1G BOV w/ Dejon leak stop kit (seems best for response out of what BOV's the PO and I have run..)

Quoting dsmtalontsi95:
old school frank 3, but that is comming off once I can get this damn car running right.

Diing-ding-ding!

You have a much larger compressor then turbine housing, and your surge line is much lower then if you had a turbine housing sized properly.

I.e. 50-trim coldside, with 7cm turbine is too small.

That's why you get compressor surge, its not your BOV.

dsmtalontsi95

It never did this before on this set up.

dsmtalontsi95

Mikus, I did what was suggested. I used a bigger line and went from the intake manifold and it works great now. Thanks for the advise.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts