The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BoV suggestions (flutter dump w/ stock BOV) - Resolved w/ Dodge Mod

EfiniX

Thank you for that. You actually got me looking at some options for retaining a quick-release while also achieving the benefits of the Dodge Mod. I believe a small pressure regulator inline on the new port (lower diaphragm) will get me just that. I can set it around a stock boost level (15psi) so that when I go past what the stock spring was built to hold, I've still got less pressure on the bottom of the diaphragm...

EDIT

Of course, I'll get surge if I can't switch back to manifold pressure or atmosphere... So enter the Dejon BOV kit, which no longer is sold it would seem. No matter. Doing some CSI-style enhancing on some installations, I've located the part number. It's a MAC valve 1111A-111 and can be found in their catalog under "small 3-way valves" -> "1100-series". The valve comes with a signal pressure setting of 20psi. Looking into how to adjust that now...

And another EDIT...

...or do I? It seems like a simple pressure regulator on the new BoV port should do the trick. I was thinking I might get surge because the pressure would be locked into the lower diaphragm chamber, but in reality, the pressure regulator is open at rest, mean that I can limit pressure to a certain point, then release pressure when it drops back below the set limit.

I can test this easy enough. More to come...

Last edited:

strokin4dr

As long as the pressure is regulated to around stock boost levels, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

prove_it

Quoting strokin4dr:
I wasn't referring to you.

Yes, the solenoid could be used with an external pressure switch.
My plan was to use one of ecmlink's programable outputs to control it, but I ended up not doing it since it worked great with the nipple open to atmosphere. I'll try adding the solenoid when my new turbo shows up to compare the difference and report back.

I'm using link to control my BOV modded the same. Works perfect. Under 10psi and 3k it works as stock, anything over those parameters it holds just fine.

EfiniX

Here's my solution. We'll see how it works. Pressure set to around 15psi (too high?). Cost about $26 to build. I'll post my results here.

All parts from the Lowes close to where I work.

Kobalt mini air regulator (0-160psi) - $20.98
Item #: 221026 | Model #: SGY-AIR5JH

2x Brass hose barbs (3/16 in ID x 1/4 in MIP | 5mm x 8mm) - $3.99
Item #: 69301 | Model #: LFA96

And some pipe tape, of course. If you plan on doing this, you'll need an air compressor to set the pressure of the regulator.

Last edited:

EfiniX

My initial observations:

Pulling the old feed from the turbo outlet barb off the lower (modded) BoV barb, I was met with an interesting surprise. The hose was split. Not much, but still... I cut the split part off, got the new regulator installed and off I went.

Normal driving felt fine. No real change. Maybe smoother? Certainly if I was leaking a bit of air under boost, it could have an impact on both spooling and my boost controller (which runs off the same source).

BoV operation for typical driving (maybe 5-15psi) was just fine. I only ran it hard once during my short drive because the turbo spooled up to 25psi (it's been set at 23), leading me to believe that the split hose might caused some issues that I'm just now seeing with my boost control. I'll look into that later when I can get a better data set and a log. As for the BoV, it's loud! This also leads me to believe that my BoV has not been staying completely shut under heavy boost and that my T3/T04 has been working a bit of overtime to get me to 23psi.

All very interesting...

more to come

89Patches

Can someone summarize what's going on? Like you're doing all this sh*t to a BOV? For what?

So lost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

The stock 1g diverter valve is a great valve. It has amazing response for it's age and is actually hard to beat. The problem is that the valve will open under boost around 18psi. There have been many mods to push it past that, but the price to pay is that the valve won't open fast at low load/boost and you'll get compressor surge. That's bad.

What hes doing is modding the valve to keep that fast opening response AND adding an actuator that will force the valve closed under high boost. It gives you the best of both worlds without having to spend 200 dollars on a loud valve that can get annoying.

Now in days, most people will swap to the EVO 9 metal divertor valve which can hold high boost and still open very fast. That requires a new flange though.

SleepinGVR4

Top side port - tee'd into a vacuum source on the top port on BOV.

Bottom side port - goes to the new port at the bottom of BOV flange.

Front port - goes to port on ic piping as close to the compressor cover as I could get.

EfiniX

The thing that concerned me about the Mac valve was that the stated pilot pressure is 20-150 psi. Even if it's adjustable, I would think that you would have to crush your BoV to prevent the valve from opening under boost.

I mean I'm reading the valve diagram correctly, right?

EfiniX

Follow-up: Everything is working great. BoV functionality has been preserved without the risk of high-boost BoV blow-by.

Great discussion!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned