The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blowoff Valve Questions..need help quick if possible

First of all, I wanted to make sure that the blowoff valve on the GVR4 is the same as the 1g's. Is it?

Secondly, I wanted to know if I could test the blowoff valve by itself with an air tank.

I ultimately want to use the air tank to check for boost leaks, but as of right now I want to crush the BOV and bench test it outside of the car by itself.

Can an air tank be used just as easily as a vacuum pump to bench test a BOV? Money is tight and I don't want to go out and buy a vacuum hand pump with gauge when I can kill 2 birds with one stone...but I need to be sure that I can use an air tank for this.

I don't have the money now for a compressor.

Thanks for the help!

SouthCaliVR4

Not sure how you would test the blow off valave with an air tank /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yes it is the same as a 1g.

Barnes

Well, there are various tricks you might be able to do. You could take out the upper IC pipe that has the BOV on it. Cap one end, put something like a boost leak tester on the other end so you could pressurize the pipe. You would also need a small line running from the pressure source to the BOV nipple to simulate conditions while under boost. You could then turn up the pressure in the pipe with an air tank until the BOV starts leaking. You could then crush the BOV down just enough to stop leaking at the boost level you want to run.

BUT BE WARNED!! Do not over crush your BOV. If you do it will barely open and could potentially become almost non-functional as a BOV.

Thanks for the info. Could you by chance explain how I could test the BOV with the unit off the car. I got a small donut compressor which should do the trick. I believe that I *might* have the basic idea but I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikus

Without getting into the titty gritty about this ^ vs. what you're probably reading on t00ners... once you've got your head around all of it, you'll find the dodge garage version (DIY or buy it at Dejon) is best.

Thanks all, I have done some more reading on this and it seems easier to use a handheld vacuum pump to test the BOV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I ordered one for cheap on ebay.

Quoting mikus:
Without getting into the titty gritty about this ^ vs. what you're probably reading on t00ners... once you've got your head around all of it, you'll find the dodge garage version (DIY or buy it at Dejon) is best.

Man, I wish I knew about the Dejon version earlier loool!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts