The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best way to clean a tranny...

Gvr41415

So I got my transmission out and I its dirty as hell so im looking for the best way to clean it up, I know i wont be able to get it clean as a parts washer, but I would like to take off what I can. right know im thinking throw the axles back in soak it with some degreaser and hit it with a steam pressure washer. only thing is I really don't want water getting in there so im not %100 about it. Has anyone ever pressure washed a tranny and been able to throw it back in no problem? or is there a better preferred way of cleaning the case without disassembly?

pot

Staff member
My preferred method uses the following:

1.) Purple Power (Autozone)
2.) Metal Tooth brush (Harbor Freight)
3.) 3M Green Pad (Dollar General)
4.) Dremel Tool (Harbor Freight *Chicago Pneumatic)
5.) Wire Wheel (Harbor Freight *1/8th shank)
6.) Steely Wool (Harbor Freight)
7.) Water Squeeze Bottle
8.) Microfiber Towel
9.) Paint Brush *1", 2"

I've found using the above products to be the most effective short of glass beading to getting a part squeaky clean. While in no particular order, first and foremost you want to soak the transmission in a degreaser to loosen up the accumulated dirt. My product of choice is Purple Power because its cheap, readily available, and very effective. Then using either Steely Wool or a metal toothbrush begin scraping away the debris. Periodically use the water bottle to remove the degreaser and microfiber towel to soak up all the gunk. As the debris is removed, follow up with a 3M Green Pad and finish off with a Wire Wheel using a Dremel or equivalent tool.

Once your satisfied you can rattle can the case or polish it which requires a different procedure.

James

I'm not sure why would be here asking how to wash a tranny but I guess we are a big family and can help with anything.

Put her (him? It?) in the shower. Warm water. Lather with soap, rinse, repeat and seen necessary.

89Mirageman

Plug the diff holes with old inner axle cups or rags, load it down with purple power and pressure wash the crap out of it. You might have to repeat this a few times to get it perfect. I've done this on at least 10 transmissions over the years with zero issues.

img4032z.jpg

img4034.jpg

after a coat of fresh paint:
img4089wm.jpg

Last edited:

prove_it

If your getting a tranny, he/she should already be clean..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Had to say it. Purple power and simple green have always worked well for me.

mitsuturbo

Simple green works well for cleaning just about anything car related. Then again, so does lacquer thinner, but that tends to cause problems with rubber objects, such as seals. I generally use a little of both, depending on the part being cleaned. If it's painted or has any rubber on it, i use simple green. If it's bare metal/aluminum and i want it damn clean... lacquer thinner.

prove_it

Yea, that's a little far for a cleaning.

Gvr41415

Quoting 89Mirageman:
^Pull a transmission apart just to clean it?

The trans isn't broke, im rebuilding the engine so I thought I might have a clean trans to go with it for a clean look.

Gvr41415

that looks so clean, Im gonna try to get mine looking like this. did you remove the shifter arm ect. or just tape it all up?

Gvr41415

Quoting James:

Put her (him? It?) in the shower.

^^ love this part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Gvr41415

Quoting Pot:
My preferred method uses the following:

1.) Purple Power (Autozone)
2.) Metal Tooth brush (Harbor Freight)
3.) 3M Green Pad (Dollar General)
4.) Dremel Tool (Harbor Freight *Chicago Pneumatic)
5.) Wire Wheel (Harbor Freight *1/8th shank)
6.) Steely Wool (Harbor Freight)
7.) Water Squeeze Bottle
8.) Microfiber Towel
9.) Paint Brush *1", 2"

I've found using the above products to be the most effective short of glass beading to getting a part squeaky clean. While in no particular order, first and foremost you want to soak the transmission in a degreaser to loosen up the accumulated dirt. My product of choice is Purple Power because its cheap, readily available, and very effective. Then using either Steely Wool or a metal toothbrush begin scraping away the debris. Periodically use the water bottle to remove the degreaser and microfiber towel to soak up all the gunk. As the debris is removed, follow up with a 3M Green Pad and finish off with a Wire Wheel using a Dremel or equivalent tool.

Once your satisfied you can rattle can the case or polish it which requires a different procedure.

Thanks for the info ill definitely be using the purple power and a wire brush.

89Mirageman

I just masked off the trans and hit the arms with some semi-gloss black. I will say if you use the pressure washer method wear some old clothes and prepare to get a little dirty. Pick a nice warm day if possible. On some of the stubborn and really dirty ones I did use a SOS pad to loosen up the grime and then hit it again with the pressure washer.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned