The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

best spot to weld the wideband bung

MellowVR4

was gona weld on the wideband bung, and was wondering where was the best spot to weld it to. i Know on the downpipe but dont know where exactly, is their a preferd angle, or it doesnt matter. let me know please

DynastyLCD

i prefer it to be two or three inches in front of the flex pipe. this way if it ever develops a leak, it wont throw off your AFR readings. however, a failed downpipe gasket will do just that.

if you have ECMlink V3, you have the option of also removing the factory o2 sensor and using the wideband to give it a narrowband signal.

MellowVR4

v3 lite?? thats what i have

TomN

If you have Ecmlink v3 then just put it in the 02 housing in place of the stock 02 and then use simulate narrow band to ecu.

MellowVR4

Because so it doenst matter if I just have v3lite, because I just wanna put it in and take it to get tuned

TomN

You can do simulate narrow band with V3lite. You may want to read up a little on what you have.

Terry Posten

I welded my bung on the down pipe right were there is a gap at the front steering sub frame close to the driverside axle. I put it striaght up so the sensor was threaded down into the pipe to keep moisure from collecting. Then route the wiring striaght up the firewall keeping it away from the axle.

MellowVR4

so i just install the wide band, connect all the wires, splice the yellow or brown wire to pin 4 on the ecu, and do the narrowband simulation.

MellowVR4

Would I still need my old o2, or the wideband just completely replace it, would the check engine light come on. I don't just put the wideband on then take it off when I'm done using it right.

jmorri15

it completely replaces it. link will send a narrowband signal to the ecu so the cel doesnt come on.

mikus

Take out the narrowband o2 when you need to - not just because you can. If you're worried about saving a sensor, take your wideband out when you're done.

I'm assuming you have an LC1 by wire colors - the brown should go to ECU input, not the yellow. Yellow comes preprogrammed as narrowband simulation voltage out the box. You could use yellow --- you'd just need to reprogram the output.

MellowVR4

i have the innovate MTX-L

mikus

^ lack of objective data to support premature wear from heat. WB output will be fine, plus less risk of exhaust leak issues. ECM forum sentiment is that WB is fine in the NB location.

INNOVATE recommends a fabbed copper heatsink for higher-temp install pics are all over the webs.
/regurgitate

Last edited:

alansupra94

I wish I had learned this before I welded my wideband in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I could always use quicker and more accurate readings....

MellowVR4

thanks to all, all this info helps out alot.

Thanks for the info, just got my wideband in last night. Will the bung wrench into the factory u2 location or do I need to take it to a shop to make fit? I. Am running the NGk afx box.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned