The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BC valve springs on stock retainers

Tre3zy

just wondering i got this good deal on valve springs but it didnt come with retainers so can i use the stock retainers with it with no problems??? and wat do you guys think of using stock retainers?

prove_it

They will work, stock retainers are good enough for most power applications. Look around on the EVO sites, you might be able to find some EVO retainers which are lighter and stronger than Stock DSM retainers, but can be had for cheap. Otherwise I think BC sells their retainer kits for a decent price.

Jesh

the whole spring and retainer package from BC is about $250-$300. but its not required unless you wanna rev up to 9000rpms. i have the kit in my car, but i only got it as a safety feature in case i over-rev.

Tre3zy

yea well i wasnt gonna get it at first cuz the max that id probably rev my car is up to 7k but my friend told me that stock spring tends to float so just get it since it was a good deal for the valve springs.... it didnt come with the retainers though

prove_it

I'm running the BC kit, I got a hook-up and got a new kit for 190, and I spent 400 dollars on the valves about 5 years ago. I felt that the 200 dollar investment was well worth it. They fit great and work great. And yes do help with float.

Rausch

Quoting prove_it:
They will work, stock retainers are good enough for most power applications. Look around on the EVO sites, you might be able to find some EVO retainers which are lighter and stronger than Stock DSM retainers, but can be had for cheap. Otherwise I think BC sells their retainer kits for a decent price.

Evo retainers and OEM stockers are designed for different spring types. You ca not interchange one for the other. If the springs you bought are 'beehive' type then you will need Evo style retainers, if they are stock style, then you will need the stockers or ones made to replace the stockers.

Edit: Pic uploading is being uncooperative- I took a couple pics of the two next to each other. Will upload when it's working again.

Last edited:

Tre3zy

so my valves springs came in last nite and this is how they look.... so can i use my stock retainers with this?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts