The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bc coilovers

presterone

On the highway I'm bouncing all over the place. When I set up the coils I preloaded the springs and I've played with the dampening and still its pretty bouncy. Anyone else notice this? Maybe its just the nature of the beast.

ktmrider

Set the preload as light as possible, ie no spring up/down movement but can still rotate easily. Then set your dampener to +6 from Full In/Hard.

It is kinda beast/nature due to the lack of separate compression and rebound. Gotta set the dampening rather stiff, thus the low preload position.

Steve885

Make sure u post post a update please I was thinking of getting a set, but am leaning more toward the K SPORT they both have great reviews

EMX5636

Steve, BC and KSport (and D2, Megan I'm not sure) are using the same basic parts, but might be sprung/valved differently. I like my KSports, but most people say the BC's ride better (not just GVR4 applications either). I have had friends with both and most give the nod to BC back to back.

presterone

I had k-sports before and they rusted so bad i don't think I can unseize the adjusters. Also one shock blew in 2000 miles of driving. I'll post up when I get time to loosen the preload, other than the hopping I like the bc's

5OF2k

I have a set of unknown mileage D2s on my car, theyre actually DSM sprung, rather than GVR4 sprung, and they ride great. Not bouncy at all, and still nice and stiff and made the car handle like a go-kart compared to the AGX/GC combo I had on the car previously.

I have a fair amount of preload in the front and back, and I have them set on the lower side of the dampening spectrum to aid in squat so I can still get out of the hole.

Overall, Im very pleased with the setup, and it works great for me!

-Jake

belize1334

BC covers are much better built than k-sport or d2. As for the ride, the car is bouncy because you have racing suspension. If you don't want it so stiff, soften the shocks or get softer springs. Don't reduce the preload. Unless the suspension is reaching full droop while driving down the road, reducing the preload will not make it ride softer. In fact it will cause the springs to jump around on their seats which makes them feel and sound clunky. I highly recommend running the recommended 4mm of preload.

5OF2k

Bouncy and racing suspension should never be used in the same sentance, because a proper suspension setup is never bouncy. If by bouncy you mean harsh, or stiff, THEN youd be correct. Bouncy is what happens when you slam a car on cheapo coil overs and blow your factory struts. On a full bodied coil over setup, if you're experiencing any type of "bounce" then you have something setup extremely incorrect, period.

Just for curiousity's sake, how is it BCs are better quality than D2's and Ksports/etc? I was under the impression they were all made by the Koni (or some other WIDELY known and used shock/damper brand.....trying to find the info again as we speak) factory, using their basic dampers and the only differences being spring rate, the type/size of pillow ball helms joints, and basic housing/height adjuster designs? As a for instance, My D2's have the same adjusters as any other full bodied coil over I've seen for our cars Ksport, Megan and BC included?

Just curious!

-Jake

Last edited:

presterone

I am using the recommended 4mm of preload (which is the width of the actual spanner wrench) and it is a ''bouncy'' ride not a harsh or stiff ride. When I ordered the coilovers I bought them with the softer springs which I think are 6k front and 5k rear? Aside from getting my car corner balanced I think the suspension is well setup, just shitty incorrectly valved shocks or something. I guess maybe I have insufficient evidence of this because I haven't had any shock dyno testing but sometimes I wonder if I should have just saved up and got the hotbits coilovers instead. Suspension parts you get what you pay for and I understand that completely but when I spent $900 on suspension and Im bouncing around like a bobble head doll its kind of funny.

presterone

And just by looks alone K-sport, BC coilovers, powered by max, D2's, raceland, JOM all look super chinsy and shitty. Again this is by looks alone especially the racelands look like a stoned middle school kids shop project.

turbowop

None of the Chinese/Taiwan coilovers (D2, K-Sport, Megan, BC) have a single Koni component. They would probably be much better and more expensive if they did. Not even Japanese brands like Tein or JIC are that great. The good stuff is made by Ohlins, Penske, etc.

You can build a better setup using Ground Control springs/sleeves and Koni dampers. The only reason my JICs are worth a damn is because they've been revalved/modified by Mueller.

ApexHunter

^ True

$900 is still on the lower end of the spectrum. It's easy to spend double that on ONE shock if we are talking about high quality parts.

Koni is based out of Europe, Netherlands i believe. BC and all the other look alikes are Taiwan. If you feel like it, hunt around online re: Bor Chuann/BC. They do a lot of private label stuff. Notice how many coilovers at that price point have so many similarities. It's more like "What color do you want?" For example, Megan Racing's coilovers are made by BC. Megan is essentially a marketing company in that respect. I take some comfort in knowing that BC is actually shock manufacturer, even if their stuff is mostly shitty. I'd like to think they have a bit more control over the product they are crapping out and could potentially offer better customer support.

After all the sh*t i have talked on this board regarding Taiwanese coilovers, i am going to come out of the closet and admit that i actually bought a set of BC's for my car. I haven't put them on yet so i can't speak on their performance, but the reviews on here were largely positive and i won't demand much from them. The car recently assumed DD duty and i wanted something better? than the spring/AGX combo. I decided that if i was going to spend big money, i'd adapt a high quality Evo kit or maybe the Hot Bits. I just can't justify spending the dough at the moment considering the car's current use.

presterone

Agreed. I just couldn't shell out the coin for the hotbits. I will be running the car at hillclimbs and track days as soon as I get tires and install my whiteline swaybars, then I'll have a more useful review of the bc coilovers. Other than the bounce the softer springs are way better and they do take bumps extremely well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned