The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery Trunk Relocation

mitsuturbo

Wasn't thinking right. Made another thread. Shoulda just put what i wanted to see here.

The best trunk mounted battery setup i've seen yet, is the one in 1051. I know some of you out there also have really well thought out trunk mounts... i'd like to see them, with detailed information of what wiring/switch you used, if possible. I know a dual circuit switch is REQUIRED on our cars to pass tech inspection. I've yet to find online, a flaming river "big switch" with a dual circuit, though. I know it's weak to bite off someone else's setup, but i'd really like to do a thru-taillight like Mark's done. Of course, i'm open to alternative configurations.

Also, how do you mount a battery inside the battery box? I've never seen inside a properly mounted battery box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I *really* do not understand putting a battery inside a metal box, either! I'd like to go with a plastic batt box, to reduce possibility of shorting. I just picked up a new optima yellow top tonight, so my choice has been made to go with a trunk mount. I dont want it to be just slapped in there like it was on 1411. This needs to be a proper, clean install, and retain the spare tire.

Photos of ONLY trunk mounted battery setups would be great here. I do not care to hear about ANY under-hood alternatives. So let me see whatcha got. WITH DETAILS.

Edit: after some MOAR searching, i came up with this photo.. this will help me a little.
img.php

Although, I really need to see how the battery is mounted inside the box, as well. I also still want to see other configs, and switch options.

So far, this thread is ok, but i don't really see a whole lot here that i can really use. The support structure looks nice to get the battery more out of the way. I suppose i could maybe do that to hold a battery box, once i see how they're held down and the battery is secured inside.

turbowop

That pic is pretty old, but the wiring is mostly the same, albeit cleaner now. I'll have to find the detailed ones I have saved somewhere to show how it's all mounted with the box now. Basically, the hold-down bolts go through the bottom of the box inside of it and the strap holds down the battery and the box. Then you can remove the lid freely.

JSchleim18

I used an aluminum plate bolted down to the bumper bracket under the carpet you see in the pic. Then I drilled a small hole to hold down the other side of the plate. I drilled small holes in the same aluminum plate for the battery tie down.

Also have a 4 post cut off switch in the back there and a 200A circuit breaker. Should be good enough for HPDE.

Battery box is Summit Racing but it was clean and looks good.

mitsuturbo

Very nice, JSchleim18. Precisely what i'm looking for. Once we get turbowop's up here, we'll have a thread that basically shows the "right" way to trunk mount a battery! I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint! Thank you.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
My battery is not held down in the box, but I used factory style j-bolts to bolt the entire box to the mount, which is of course bolted to the floor.

Not set up with any kill switch though, just a streetcar.

turbowop

Here are a few pics of my setup that are already on my HDD.

From above:

From the side, you can see the hold down rod exiting the box and going through the trunk floor:

Rod is held in place under trunk floor by one large washer and nut on either side of the unibody rail:

Old battery terminal is turned around and held to the large fuse box cover with a custom zip-tie configuration. 2awg wire feeds the battery in the trunk and a separate 4awg wire feeds the alternator wire back to the kill switch/battery.

mitsuturbo

Thanks so much. This is perfect!

I'll be doing my box very similar to this, and the switch as well.
I'll have a slightly different setup under the hood, though. I'll add to this thread when i do my install. Hopefully in a couple of weeks.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting turbowop:
Here are a few pics of my setup that are already on my HDD.

Are you venting your battery? If you are, how are you doing this?

turbowop

No, although the box came with some tubing that would be used as the vent. That would require drilling a hole in the box and a hole in the trunk floor to pass the tubing through to use as a vent. Since I have a sealed Optima, I didn't bother. Just having the box and kill switch satisfied any track officials looking at my setup so far.

mitsuturbo

I need to figure out how I'm going to do this, and have a kill switch that actually shuts the car off.
I was thinking maybe a dual circuit switch, with the small (secondary) circuit running to primary power on the ECU, or maybe something on the alternator.

First, i wonder how the plastic plug and 2 wires on the alternator works... does anyone know? It just brings up the field so it will charge, doesn't it? I was thinking it would be best to maybe put one of those two wires on the switch, since they don't carry charge current, right? I was hoping to get by with some 8 gauge or so, for that. I've already got 1/0 AWG to run from batt to factory terminal (junction post, actually) and a fancy schmancy battery terminal to match. I've got a 140a circuit breaker, but the posts seem kinda small. I may get something more suited for 0awg wire, if i can find it.

Any suggestions are welcome. I don't want to have to unplug the 2 prong on the alternator when i go to the track, just to pass tech as i've done before.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
That would require drilling a hole in the box and a hole in the trunk floor to pass the tubing through to use as a vent.

There are drain plug grommets in the wells at either side of the trunk compartment (more easily seen from outside than inside) that could be used to route a vent hose without needing to drill another hole.

turbowop

Yeah, those could be used as well. I wasn't trying to make it seem like drilling a hole was a bad thing. I was just pointing out that a hole needs to be made to run the vent tube through, be it through a grommet or the sheetmetal. I don't mind making holes, I just didn't see the need to with my sealed battery and no issues passing tech the way it is.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
No sweat Mark, just mentioning an alternative. I have done this in two cars, without venting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

14u2nV

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I need to figure out how I'm going to do this, and have a kill switch that actually shuts the car off.

Will a kill switch hooked inline to the fuel pump not work (with battery in trunk and a rewire, it would be right there)? I would think that would be best as it would def kill the fuel supply, but I don't know about all those type of rules.

Last edited:

When it comes time to relocate the battery to the trunk is the little 4 fuse connector need to be moved back there with it, as in the first pics?
one of the PO's moved the Batt. to the trunk on mine but the 4 fuse connector is still in the engine bay and was frying for some reason only when the car was running of coarse...

turbowop

Quoting Ga_Sumo:
When it comes time to relocate the battery to the trunk is the little 4 fuse connector need to be moved back there with it, as in the first pics?

No.

mitsuturbo

Quoting 14u2nV:
Quoting mitsuturbo:

Will a kill switch hooked inline to the fuel pump not work (with battery in trunk and a rewire, it would be right there)? I would think that would be best as it would def kill the fuel supply, but I don't know about all those type of rules.

It's SUPPOSED to kill the car immediately. The only way to do that is to cut ALL power. I just had another idea, actually.. and that's to use a 2nd circuit on a kill switch to kill the main MPI relay. That shouldn't be susceptible to voltage drop much if at all Since it's a RELAY. I just have to find the "signal" wire and run it back. I believe this would kill all ECU activity, including spark and fuel.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned