The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery Relocation: Trunk

alansupra94

Well after reading a few thread on here, I still haven't really gotten a good answer to this.

Where do you guys route the wire when going to the trunk? I have 0 gauge wire and large fuse (yes 0 gauge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) and would be nice to have an idea before I go taking things apart. I will also be running 4 gauge wire to beef up the alternator connection too.

Figured if I am going to rewire the fuel pump, might as well do the battery one time too. (Using a relay for the pump, don't worry)

Muskrat

Get some sturdy wire loom that fit's your wire and run it along the underbody, in paralell with the fuel or brake lines.

Or you could run it into the interior, under the rocker trims and/or carpet and rear seat.

solidviper89

One of the experts told me about the grommet right where the passenger tire is...

1.You remove passenger tire.
2.Remove the wheel well plastic.
3.Run cable from engine bay through first grommet(Along brake line)
4.Then run cable through the second grommet into cabin(comes out right behind glove box)
5.Then take off trims along the door and run the cable back through there(IDK how well 0 gauge fits)
6.Then take off backseat(supposed to be super easy)
7.Then your home free

clicky
Read the post by blacksheep, has pictures and everything.

Nartanian

Very good post timing. I'm relocating to the trunk tomorrow.

alansupra94

Sweet thanks. I will be relocating the battery right behind the back seat though...and with two small sub-woofer boxes next to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I guess this will also give me a good opportunity to check out the floor panels on the car.

Nartanian

Don't want to hi-jack but I figured this would be a good question too. Since a gel sealed battery is preferred, where would the best place be to buy an Optima Red Top battery for a good price?

0 gauge fits with no major issues. I have 0 ga power and ground run through there with no major issues, though I did have to trim the grommet to get both through.

alansupra94

I sears had great deals on them....plus it would easier if there was a warranty problem.

I plan on using a regular battery I have left over from my supra because it has some ridiculous CCA rating. Giving my dad the size and he is going to weld together a nice box for it.

Nartanian

I'd be careful. I heard regular batteries vent deadly fumes.

mooserage

Staff member
^They do, if your dad is welding together a box for you, then you MUST put vent tube on the box that vents outside the car. This is a safety issue on regular batteries, but is not a problem on a sealed battery like the optima.

As seen below:

moroso_74050.jpg

SleepinGVR4

Oh great I'm not venting my box and I have a regular battery.

You might want to also run a ground back up to the engine bay and also ground your battery in the trunk.

alansupra94

^^^

I honestly don't think I will need to run a 0 gauge wire to the front if the battery is properly grounded on the chassis. I WILL get a grounding wire to connect directly to the starter for good grounding.

I work on a venting idea....maybe from the bottom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

turbowop

I use 2awg for the main feed, and 4awg for the feed back to the kill switch from the alternator. I ran the ground using 2awg to one of the upper rear shock mounts and sanded down the paint under the bolt to get a good connection. Has worked great for over nine years now...on both my gvr4's.

cheekychimp

When you say deadly do you mean 'poisonous' or 'flammable'? I know some guys on here have a plate between the trunk and rear seat to act as a firewall/sound wall but I am not happy about having a trunk full of flammable gas either. I also doubt the parcel shelf is (a) fireproof or (b) airtight (even with speakers installed) which makes isolating the trunk on a street car complicated.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Traditional wet batteries will vent hydrogen gas when charging.

There will also be some venting of sulfuric acid fumes during the charge/discharge cycle.

This is why the area around the battery and the bottom of the hood corrodes on many cars.

For installations that locate the battery inside the vehicle cabin or trunk area, running the battery in a sealed, externally vented box is a very good plan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

alansupra94

Yeah I worked it out, I plan on venting from the bottom and running it to where the where the electrical wires go to the fuel pump and vent out there.

I will post my results so as I get some damn 0 gauge crimps. Not easy to find around here specially with work and school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned