The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Base timing advance

James

So ever since my first day with the 4g63 platform I've been told to set it to +10 degrees.

Last night I was googling something and found a gvr4 link to a guy asking about rich knock I believe and everyone said his timin was to aggressive and it should be set to +5 degrees at idle.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

James

Man I've been doing it wrong for 8 years and never blew a motor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif ill adjust that today.

se7enine

+10 would be good for someone living in a higher altitude area like me.

James

Yea I live in Florida xD I think it's the opposite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

se7enine

Trying to set it near +10 is closer to 5 anyways because of the weird angle.

James

I can get it to +5 by looking at the logger though

James

Then why does my logger say +10 at idle? If I ground out the ECU and adjust the timing then plug in my logger its still going to show the same value? Or is it going to show closer to +5.

turbowop

Because the ecu advances timing to 10 degrees at idle. But it still assumes base timing is correctly set at 5 degrees. There is no shortcut for this. You must mechanically set base timing.

So basically, if your logger is showing 10 degrees, and your base mechanical timing is set to 10 degrees, the engine will effectively see 15 degrees, which is 5 degrees too much. Does you understand? This can be bad if you're trying to set timing for WOT and you're 5 degrees too much.

Last edited:

James

Okie. Perhaps I have something mixed up.

My original question in the thread was referring to the value being shown on my logger. It shows +10

Is this correct or should it show +5

EHmotorsports

When grounding the ecu for timing adjustment. The ecu will say ok timing should be at 5* then you use the timing light to check and verify timing on the crank pulley. If its not at 5* then adjustment of the cas will need to be completed. The ECU makes all of its timing corrections based off of the cas being set to 5*. If its at lets say 10* then the ecu will still think its set to 5* and make adjustments based off of that. So what your logger says timing is at add 5* on top if you have timing set to 10*

James

Ok so my timing does still need to be adjusted because when I set it with the light i set it on the mark for 10`.

I didn't know that my logger would stay around 10 regardless. Learned a few new things today.

codeofdastreets

james, was your car fs on craigslist recently?

James

It should still be on. Had some interest but I wast really comfortable with selling it due to the lifter tick/knock issue.

LIV4PSI

I believe he is selling it in hopes to pick up an actual VR4.

James

^^ yep yep. That was the plan. Ill probably out it back up again around tax time since ill have extra money on top of what I sell it for.

tintoy

Do i have to ground the ecu before adjusting the timing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned