The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Base Timing

Specter

I have read lot of posts before asking this. What i have understood so far is that to adjust the base timing, i will ground the timing connector on the firewall, adjust the crank pulley to 5 degrees BTDC as per factory manual, take off the grounding clip off the timing connector, start the engine and confirm the timing through a timing light. Is that right? If i am right so far then what bothers me is that, when i ground the timing connector, do i have to keep the engine start key at the "ignition" position or do i have to turn it off?
Thanks.

atc250r

Staff member
No. The engine must be running when you set the timing. Go check out www.vfaq.com for a good write up on how to do it.

John

Specter

I read the vfaq before posting my query. I think i got something mixed up. Okay, when you rebuild an engine and put it together, you align the timing marks on the crankshaft pulley and start the engine, then check the timing through a timing light. If the timing is out of spec only then ground the timing connector and adjust the cas. Is this it? Gosh i got this timing thing mixed up.

atc250r

Staff member
Kind of. Assuming all the marks on the t-belt are lined up right you will set the CAS somewhere in the middle but in order to do ANYTHING with you base timing you have to ground the connector. Whether you want to check or adjust the timing the connector must be grounded. Also, unplug any logger or anything that you might have connected to the port under the dash. If you don't the ECU will be in "set base idle mode" not timing mode.

John

Specter

Okay, so if all marks on the T-Belt are lined up correctly, does the timing come in range of the factory spec? We can confirm it by the timing light but i am just asking if one does not have access to timing light at that moment.

atc250r

Staff member
Not really. There is no "range", it is supposed to be 5* BTDC no more, no less. If you set the CAS back to where it was by lining the washer mark back up with the washer you will be close to where it was before you started but who knows if it was right in the first place. As long as you baby the car until you get the timing set right you should be OK but I wouldn't leave it like that for long.

John

atc250r

Staff member
No problemo! Glad I was able to help.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned