The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball Bearing Oil Feed Location..

Bimmubishi

Kyle, I'd go off the head. I'm eager to see what Tial comes up with to control pressure. They kept assuring me that the turbo does not need a lot of oil pressure thus leading me to conclude that less, in this case should be more. Esp with synthetic oil....

Quote:
Right.
Jeff, maybe something else was at play? Was it glass beaded at any time?
A

No, the stuff in the filter was definitely carbon-based contaminants. You could just rub it between your fingers and it would dissolve/disappear.
Now, knowing this, I may just spend the money for a new center-section, and try again, WITHOUT a filter.

nrvous

Although I am a nerd by profession, I work for a company that builds hydraulic and pnuematic systems. My initial reaction for controling pressure to the turbo is to look into a hydraulic pressure regulator or something that is already designed to do this. There are hundreds of setups available for making a bypass regulator valve or something to control the pressure at the turbo, without limiting volume through a pin hole.

-stephen

From what I can see, the above fitting I posted is made to work with the built in oil restrictor that my GT30R has.. I understand that the filter housing can get to above 60psi, but I think that with the built in restrictor and this fitting I'll be fine running from the filter housing.

Maybe feeding from the head AND having this built in restrictor/fitting could actually be too restrictive, even though you're saying less may be better.. A friend of mine just told me he's tested the oil pressure from the head and got 20psi.

Im stuck on this and want to get the car back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bimmubishi

We're designing a bypass valve just like you said using stock scientific industry components nervous.. That's right what I was thinking also.

Should be in testing once we get a quote on the valve itself which could be later this week.. just waiting right now.

Al

Bimmubishi

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifTerren, just hook it up. You have no idea how complicated this bypass system has to be in order to work and maintain oil pressure for the rest of the engine. It's going to be a while.

Haha, ok I'll just hook it up to the housing and hope for the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know that feeding from the head is a good idea. It's the last place to get oil from and on startup that could be too late (or at least no benefit) for the turbo. I had a similar conversation at SEMA and was told to use a -3AN feed line from the oil filter housing to the turbo.

The thing that worries me about the restrictor fitting is the spray pattern out of it. If the feed line up to the fitting is 100psi (common at redline), the oil that comes out of that tiny hole could spray rather than pour. I know lots of people use this method with some success, so I can't discount it.

The oil at the filter housing is already filtered, but I'm not sure how fine the filtering is. I hope that if the Mobil 1 M105 is good enough for the engine, it's gotta be good enough for the turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dialcaliper

If you wanted a really trick setup, you'd feed from the oil filter housing into an electric powered positive displacement pump (probably an impeller type pump?), so that you can meter exactly how much oil passes through it. Then to the turbo, then a spring regulator at the turbo oil drain with a generous tube back to the oil pan.

That way you can keep the flow up, but the pressure down at a fixed level without dropping the rest of the system pressure. In this situation, the pump would probably be restricting flow rather than pushing it forward.

There's also the possibility of some sort of variable mechanical throttling valve. These sorts of things exist for industrial water systems, you could probably do something similar.

Constant Pressure Valve

All in all, for a given pressure though the turbo lines, the amount of flow through the turbo is constant unless you control the drop in the system somehow. It doesn't matter what sort of bypass setup or restrictor you have to obtain that pressure, the flow through the CHRA is the same.

Brianawd

I use a inline filter with my FP3052. Every time I have ever checked it there has been some carbon in the filter. I think it takes me less then 5min to pull the filter and put in the new clean screen. I do this once a week. Its so easy why not do it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned