The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball Bearing Oil Feed Location..

AWDnot2

Why do they make the inlet so large?

bazeng

i think those types of inlets have a special thing where air flows through that other outside passage at a certain rev.. making it more efficient etc..

i read it somewhere.. but not sure where.. lol

Hksvr4

nice turbo. Hey let us know how's the spool up time. thanks

Ya, I know I'll see full boost before 4000rpm, hopefully a bit closer to 3600 (when my green got full spool).. I think it being dual ball bearing It should be right around there.

I was just talking to Robert at RRE for a while about my turbo, and my center section has a built in oil restrictor and I buy this oil fitting for the oil feed
gtoilinlet035-01.jpg

.. So as you can tell thats pretty restrictive and allows me to run oil from the filter housing regardless of how much pressure it puts out, that fitting, I guess you could say regulates how much is fed.

I wouldnt want to get any foreign sh*t(particles, etc) into that small of a hole from my head and risk starving my new precious.

I'll just run a 90* -4AN fitting from the above fitting to my normal oil feed line from the filter housing.

-Oh ya, its an anti-surge TO4E style compressor housing.. There are many diff. comp housings that are labled 'to4e',some are 3/4"in, 2/2.5"out this one happens to have a 4" inlet, 2" outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayH

I wonder how much it would cost to build an entirely self contained oil system for the turbo with a small electric pump, oil cooler, filter and reservoir. You would never have to worry about engine oil mixing with the turbo oil, could run different grades on each and change each independently.

Bimmubishi

Terren, most turbos have those built in. The only thing that regulates pressure with a system like that is the differential between the inlet and outlet. If the inlet was that size, and the outlet (the drain) were the same the pressure would be as high as the pressure goes for the oil system. Since the oil drains faster than it goes in it's roughly regulated by the diffenence in port sizes. Nothing too fancy but I guess it works.

So do you think I would be ok with feeding it from the filter housing w/ the built in restrictor and the above fitting? Thanks Al, always a great help!

Here's a pic of the built in restrictor(blurry):

Outlet, appears to be mitsu style:

Bimmubishi

Let's wait until tomorrow. Garrett owes me a call back on that subject. I'd rather not speculate.

Speaking with the aeroquip rep, the inline pre filter has to be cleaned out a lot, it's a race application which means teams clean the element after every race. It doesn't seem like a good road application.

Terren, let's wait for more from the horses mouth but your on the right track i think.

Bimmubishi

Terren et al.

Here's the straight dope from Garrett and Tial Sport.

The turbo wants and operates best at 30PSI oil pressure. That's correct, THIRTY. It will also work at up to 60 but the excessive pressure will slow the turbo's reaction. Tial Sport, who is one of the few exclusive distributors is working on a pressure limiting device and they will let me know asap when I can get some in at the shop. We should be among the first to know.

We are also working on a similar device that should go into testing within about 3 weeks.

As far as the other issues, I feel like I can now speak to those after talking with both Garrett engineers and Tial Sport who prepares ALMS, IMSA, Porsche GT1, GT2 and supplies many rally teams and has been working with Nissan for years (they have the experience) that the ball bearing turbos are no more succeptable to damage through contamination than are hydrodynamic bearing turbos (normal, bushing type)

So the facts are, in summary:

30psi optimum
Must be watercooled
the limiting orifice calculated by garrett is about 30thousands at the oil inlet at present.

Tial has yet to see damage through contamination and has been studying Nissan SR20 powered cars for several years as they are the first and only to do ball bearing as OEM.

That's all for now, I hope that helps.

AL

So, what that means is that the filter, which clogged and took out my turbo, isn't really necessary? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Bimmubishi

Right.

I can only guess that since it's a motorsport filter that it requires constant maintenance and that could be the problem. The requirement is 20 microns which is covered by the stock filter. Jeff, maybe something else was at play? Was it glass beaded at any time?

A

AL,

Thanks for the good info.

Quote:
The turbo wants and operates best at 30PSI oil pressure. That's correct, THIRTY. It will also work at up to 60 but the excessive pressure will slow the turbo's reaction.

So where to plumb the oil feed? From the oil filter housing there will definitely be more than 60psi especially when cold, but from the head it will be a lot less than 30psi when hot. Hmmm... I'm hoping the AN-3 line feeding my BB turbo from the head is enough.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned