The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anyone try using the EVO Ecu?

ECUFlash is free, sort of. Colby decided to start charging for it, so it is now bundled into the price of the Tactrix cables. Basically the new versions of ECUFlash only support the new versions of his cables. If you buy a secondhand older cable, from back before he started charging, you have to use an older version of ECUFlash.

Anybody take apart his cables and reverse engineer them yet?

I guess this sounds really cool, but is it better than a standalone in a similar price range?
Harness:$100
Cable:$179
ECU:$250-$400
So, $540.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your ECU price is a little high. I haven't had to spend more than $150 for an ECU yet. Some guys have found them as cheap as $50-$100. You won't find a standalone for anywhere near $329 to $429.

Street Surgeon

Harness: 100 to 150
Cable w/evoscan?: 200ish
ECU: 100 to 150
Evo/2G knock sensor: 30 to 80
Evo/Eclipse GT maf or MAP sensor: 50 to 100

If you take the avg. of said prices you're in the 580ish range, and for not alot more you can pick up a used AEM, or a new ECMlink V3. Though with the ECMlink you might spend more since you'll have to get the MAF/MAP sensor still etc.

I'd say that overall you can still come out on top with a great ECU for a decent amount of cash.

I don't think its fair to include the MAS or MAP sensor either, not if you're comparing it to the price of just the DSMLink. You would need those same pieces if you were to buy a DSMLink, or a used AEM. Besides, most guys interested in this already have a 2G, 3G, EVO, MAS or MAFT setup.
You would need the same 2G/EVO knock sensor if you went AEM, but its a valid argument if you are comparing it to DSMLink.

Interesting. I have been eyeing DSMlink for a while now. As far as I can tell from what keydiver said, ecuflash has more tuneability and true 3d mapping, but DSMlink is more user friendly. I have a 2g so no problems there.....And of course this solution bases everything on a much newer ECU. Oh, do these EVO ecus need capping? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

The EVO ECU's appear to use a better grade cap, but the real issue with the 1G caps was a defective capacitor, not just normal wear and tear. But, I have seen a few 1995 EPROM ECU's with leaky caps, which makes me think that Mitsubishi made some of them back in early 1994 before they fixed the bad caps issue. I've never seen a 1996 or newer ECU with leaky caps.

broxma

I have an Evo 8 and tune it myself with ECUFlash. I also tune Subaru cars with RomRaider. Personally I like RomRaider but you still have to actually flash the car with ECUFlash since RomRaider has no flashing ability. I posted on the EvoM forums about this with Keydiver a while back and once 379 is running properly and I have the mechanical work done I am switching it over to an Evo8 ECU.

/brox

punisher

My 04 evo ecu came in the mail yesterday. I plan on dropping in a set of 560's and an evo maf and driving it around basically on a stockish evo setup. I'll work on mods/tune after its up and driving.

My harness is almost finished but I had a question about the obd2 plug. I need 12v and I was wondering if you guys were just tapping into pin evo25/dsm107(12v switched power)? Also what did you use as the ground?

Would the "M" cable be a good choice for tactrix cable? I really don't want to spend the extra $100 for 2.0 if I can run an older version just fine.

Boostdtalon

The more I read into this the more I'm interested in doing this once my build is done. If I didn't love my Evo so much. I'd pull the ecu and maf from it. Lol since I was planning on going with a Evo
maf anyways.

Jeff, if you were too offer this as a plug and play setup I'd buy one for sure.

I'm trying to get there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Use pin #106 as GROUND for the OBDII connector.
As far as I know the cheaper version of the 1.3 programming cable *will* work, but you have to use an older version of ECUFlash, before Colby started putting the new serial numbers into the cables. I have version 1.32 I think. Anything up to 1.37 works, or something like that. I actually had a bunch of them, and just sold them off at $69 each. I should have kept one to test, or to sell with a complete package. For $35-$40 more you get the newer version that includes ECUFlash. You should really ask Hamish for the particulars, so I don't steer you wrong though.

punisher

Thanks for the info Jeff, it really helps. I think now all I need is the cable once I decide which one to get. I might still have a copy of openecu on my computer from back when I owned an evo.

mountaineerjeff

well im actually a little surprised that all this info is on here, I actually was hoping to be the first to have this done, as I am planning this swap on 1630. I do know that if your going to the evo ecu, you also need the evo knock sensor.

turboaddict

would it be worth it to switch up to the evo8/98-99 ecu if I already have a chip from you that works? if so what would the beneift be and what would the total cost be? If you want a tester for a 89-90car I my be interested.

As far as actual performance, there probably isn't any difference between an EVO ECU and the stock GVR-4 ECU. But, the main reason people like the mod is that they can use ECUFlash to tune the maps themselves, switch to a second set of maps, switch to an E85 tune, or run speed density. We also have the option to expand the maps to REALLY huge amounts of airflow, for the guys running >25psi.

Brunoboy

so whats going on with this? Sorry to bring up old thread again.

broxma

Been done. Working as expected. My GVR4 has been on an Evo 8 ECU now for a while. A few others have contacted me about installing it as well.

I think there is a reason it hasn't been talked about more. But that is conjecture on my part.

/brox

Brunoboy

the reason i brought it up, is because keydiver was working on a harness or something back then, and idk if it was trialed in anyones car, if youve done it, what harness are you using? and hows it working out for you?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned