The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear main seal , metal ring.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Gasket. Should not need anything on the seal.

Brunoboy

Quoting iceman69510:
Gasket. Should not need anything on the seal.

Would it be ok to copper spray it Or stick with the black RTV ?

Brunoboy

Thanks, I actually used the Gasket Adhesive, it sticks very nicely.
-Shane

desant78

I hate to revive this thread from so long ago, is there a reason to use black RTV instead of the gray RTV?

thanks!

this is good info... we have had a couple cars come into the shop that had the ring improperly installed and the seal leaking

holeshotmoe

My turn to revive. About two years ago I replaced my oil-fouled & slipping exedy HD clutch due to a leaking rear main. LINKOID Seal had near 90k so I think the seal was probably installed correctly. Replaced with factory seal and installed a center-force clutch. I cannot remember how I did the ring. Just followed the manual IIRC. Well now after about 20k it's slipping again. Is this normal wear for this brand clutch or could it take this long for an improperly installed seal to begin leaking and manifest into a slipping clutch?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned