The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone replaced a heater core recently?

Tondar

I read a few threads here and ordered a heater core from rock auto (the OSC version based on a post here that it was copper and came with the gaskets). The OSC version is now aluminum and doesn't come with any gaskets. What is the collective wisdom here now? Thx in advance for any help!

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, I swapped in one of the aluminum OSC models (OSC 98780) from RockAuto into 820 a few years back. Worked great. IIRC, I had to get new foam from the hardware store, but otherwise it was pretty much plug and play.

Removing the dash sucked f***ing ass though. Have fun with that. Make sure you pay special attention to the cable routing for the HVAC system. If you screw that up it's going to be painful to fix.

20210522_174304.jpg

20210522_174322.jpg

20210522_184741.jpg

20210522_184825.jpg

20210522_184855.jpg

20210522_184912.jpg

20210522_184920.jpg

20210522_185614.jpg

Tondar

Wow, thank you for the reply with the pics! I'm glad to hear the OSC version worked out. Question, in you 6th pic of the "box" containing the heater core, how well supported are the hose attachments coming through the firewall? a budy of mine a while back was helping with my engine removal and before I could stop him he was putting too much force taking off the heater hoses by hand (I would cut them off and not take the chance of damaging anything) now the pipes sticking out are a bit tweaked and I have to worry that he broke something. Copper is rather maleable so i can bend them back into shape but who knows if he cracked the tube anywhere inside the car?

GSTwithPSI

The only support provided is by the small bracket and grommets (pictured in the photo you mentioned). If they got tweaked a bit you should be fine bending them back. The weak point is at the core itself where the tubes attach. You likely won't know if they are fucked up until you run the car and get the system up to pressure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned