The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone ever use this before?

click

I've got a friend with a stuck spark plug in his B18. I've tried all the tricks I know to get it out and its really being a bastard. I've told him it can come out but might take some threads with it.

This product looks to be more solid than a heli-coil. Anyone have any opinions?

TylerAdamson

Time-Serts are expensive but they are well worth it. I replaced all of my exhaust manifold stud holes with time-serts. They are much stronger than a helicoil and are easy to remove and replace if need be.

GVR4_1057

I have used all types of thread inserts and the timeserts are by far the best IMHO.

Ya they look like the would hold up really well. I just need to convince my friend to let me take the head off to fix it if the threads are in fact toast. I really would prefer not to try and fix with the head still on like he wants me to try.

NateCrisman

have one of those in my head reapling an 8mm hole. Ten times stronger then a helicoil. Stronger than the original alum 8mm threads sine the head threads are not like 10 or 11mm dia. That's one area it worth the investment since such a pita to do later when the helicoil gets buggered up.

Barnes

These things look awesome. ONLY thing I wonder is if they don't loosen over time in aluminum because of the different coefficient of thermal expansion.

TylerAdamson

I have never had a problem with them loosening up over time and its also what most manufactures use when performing warranty work and a bolt hole is stripped out. I know its what Mitsu used when they would reman a 4g63.

Dialcaliper

Timeserts are pretty awesome - one of the best thread replacements available. They won't loosen since during the installation, the lower threads get flared outwards during installation deforming the outer threads, locking it into the base material. You can also use loctite in addition.

Timesert also makes M11 and M12 head-bolt thread replacement kits and are probably the only helicoil type product I'd intentionally use to reinforce the block as opposed to replacing a damaged thread - the solid carbon steel inserts are stronger than cast iron, and the larger thread diameter reduces the stress on the block for the same bolt preload.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
These things look awesome. ONLY thing I wonder is if they don't loosen over time in aluminum because of the different coefficient of thermal expansion.

GM uses them in the all alum. Caddy engine,

jepherz

Staff member
Yes, they are better than helicoils, but it's the same concept, and the timesert kit is like $150. The helicoil is like $35...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned