The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any body ever remove heater core

MRmeeTooxD

Hey believing I have a bad heater core which is causing my bubbling. And I had bad heat past winter. Might as well change it. Need some advice on how to approach situation.

Jesus_Negros

Yeah try pulling the ACC on a w116. The gvr4 is cakewalk in comparison.

MRmeeTooxD

Well, to may last post this may the cause of my boiling coolant. So gonna see if pressure test reveals a leak if it's that then gotta go.

GSTwithPSI

If your floor board is wet chances are the heater core is leaking. If the heater core is leaking, it would most likely be the reason your coolant is boiling.

The coolant boiling is just a byproduct of a leak, it's not actually the issue. When a leak forms in the system, the pressure drops, lowering the boiling point of the coolant within. As a result of a pressure drop in the system, the coolant's boiling point falls back to normal and the engine heat begins to boil the coolant. This is the reason we use pressurized coolant systems in the first place, to increase the boiling point of the coolant locking it into a liquid state at a much higher than normal temperature. Simply, if your coolant is boiling it is probably because there is a leak in the system somewhere.

You are on the right track with pressure testing the system. Just find the leak, patch it up and you'll be good to go. I really hope it's not the heater core, though. Pulling the dash will be a real pain.

MRmeeTooxD

OK so question I couldn't find a pressure tester but I do have a 1g housing. Where do I run the little small nipple to?. Am I suppose to run a whole 1g set up or just thermostat housing alone.

CutlassJim

Why in gods name would you run a 1G coolant neck on a Galant? The little nipple goes to the overflow just like the little nipple right next to the radiator cap on the radiator. Pulling the dash in a Galant isn't that bad. 10x easier than a B5.

GSTwithPSI

The 1g water neck/t-stat housing has a provision for the radiator cap. The GVR4 t-stat housing doesn't. The little nipple on the 1g water neck goes to the coolant overflow. On a GVR4, this nipple would normally be on the radiator. You'll need to extend the hose to reach from the 1g t-stat housing all the way to the overflow reservoir. If you also have the standard GVR4 radiator with a cap, you will then have 2 caps in the system using the 1g water neck. Not a great idea...

Nipple on the 1g t-stat housing that goes to the overflow:
DSC01052.jpg

As far as the pressure tester goes, just go to AutoZone, Advance or any parts chain and rent one. They will let you borrow it for free, just pay a deposit. That would be the best way to go. Finding the leak with a pressure tester will allow you to troubleshoot the system with the car off, and the while it is still cool. Best of both worlds.

MRmeeTooxD

I put the 1g because of arco For
radiator. So my friend told me I needed it. So bubbling started happening. And I have that nipple going straight into the radiator, divided into the reservoir tank. So I'm lost from here.

GSTwithPSI

IIRC, the AFCO radiator doesn't have a provision for the radiator cap. So, you are correct in needing the 1G water neck. This will relocate your radiator cap to the t-stat housing location. The nipple on the water neck goes straight to the overflow tank. If it goes anywhere else, that's wrong.

Reiterating; the bubbling is caused because of a leak. You need to find where the leak is and fix it. Rent a pressure tester and use it to find the leak: AutoZone pressure tester

CutlassJim

Is the Afco rad in the core support? Gotta have the cap as the highest point to not have air pocketz. I forgot people did crazy stuff like jam different radiators into their cars. Damn me and my small turbos.

strokin4dr

If i'm reading this correctly you have the hose from the nipple of the 1g t-stat housing, running to a T that splits one side to the overflow bottle and the other directly to the radiator??
If that is how you have it configured I think we found the problem. Post a pic of how the over flow hose is ran.
-Ryan

Quoting MRmeeTooxD:
I put the 1g because of arco For
radiator. So my friend told me I needed it. So bubbling started happening. And I have that nipple going straight into the radiator, divided into the reservoir tank. So I'm lost from here.

strokin4dr

Good. Glad it was an easy fix.
Punch whoever suggested that T fitting in the face! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned