The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Advice needed on my shifting issues also

Hondasi88

Update: So i was driving in third, put the car in neutral and the shifter bounced back liked a rubber band. After pulling over, I was unable to go into any gear. I pulled the radio, shifter boot and armrest out to see if anything was lose. I was able to put the car in gear by sliding a piece of the shift linkage up toward the front of the car.

So my conclusion and please jump in with any advice

1. I need to adjust or get a new shift likage?
2. I need all new bushings?
3. The car came with a ETS kit but i noticed the pipes are basicly sitting on the whole assemply near the front of the transmission "fork for both linkages".

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

Check and make sure the shifter bushings are intact and have not disintegrated. Try adjusting the shifter cables. It may also make it easier to get into reverse if you go to third then reverse

SouthCaliVR4

First in 1st gear hold the clutch e-brake off level ground & rev the motor, if the car creeps forward you are not getting the clutch to fully disengage. adjustment of master rod or use a longer push rod in the slave.

If it does not creep try adjusting the shifter, vfaq is your friend on that one it is very simple to do however & solved my shifting issue when I first bought #825. the short shifter is probably from a dsm, throw is the same but the shifter itself is shorter giving a better feel.

Also check the grommets for the shifter cables on the trans end.

Hondasi88

Let me add that I switched the short to a reg shifter. This helped some but now reverse is comp done.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I was going to suggest you go back to a stock or 1g shifter and go from there. Now that you did go with a stock shifter you have to adjust the cables. Click here to see how to adjust the cables.

Hondasi88

Thanks, I will tackle this shifting thing this weekend. One day I will experience a sweet shifting vr4.

Hondasi88

I started to check out the shifter and instantly noticed that a spring had fallen off from the shifter. I am in the process of taking out the center console to make accessing the area easier.

Whoodoo

There's no need to remove the whole console. Just take the insert out of the arm rest and the shift boot. Its a little tight, but there is enough room to get at everything with the right tools. I've taken plenty of shifters in and out of both the galant and a 1g and its very easy. Taking the center console out is a big pain and not necessary.

Hondasi88

Update: So i was driving in third, put the car in neutral and the shifter bounced back liked a rubber band. After pulling over, I was unable to go into any gear. I pulled the radio, shifter boot and armrest out to see if anything was lose. I was able to put the car in gear by sliding a piece of the shift linkage up toward the front of the car.

So my conclusion and please jump in with any advice

1. I need to adjust or get a new shift likage?
2. I need all new bushings?
3. The car came with a ETS kit but i noticed the pipes are basicly sitting on the whole assemply near the front of the transmission "fork for both linkages".

Any suggestions?

Any updates on the problems you've experienced?

If the pipes are interfering with the linkage then I would definitely try to adjust the piping.

Also, check the rubber boots at the end of the cables in the engine bay. If the rubber is dry-rotted then it is easy for water to enter there which will cause difficulty shifting.

Hondasi88

I am going out today to address some issues.....

piping,check the linkage again and also the shifter.

I am leaning toward the shift linkage since it feels worn under where the radio is located.

Hondasi88

update on this issue.

So I took apart the center console, shifter and noticed my shift linkage cable was exposed. My next move will be to replace the shift linkage,shifter bushings and adjust my IC piping.

How to i remove the shift linkage from the actual shifter base? I'll try to find a picture.

I was at the junk yard this week and was unable to remove the linkage from the base.

Hondasi88

more of an update...... I was missing all kinds of bolts and other small bushings that connect the shift linkage to the transmission. I re-read through some of the former owner posts and this seems to be the problem. We will see!

Also how do you remove the linkage from the base? Im guessing a flat head screw driving to pry it off?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned