The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT twin disc?

DynastyLCD

click

im wondering if anyone else has heard of this, or even tried? video is from last year. just found this today.

this could be nice, possibly a more affordable option than PTT or quartermaster? if i could even find this online for sale...

Brianawd

act=sh*t

thecman02

+1. I'd listen to Brian. He has been around the block once or twice. It takes ACT a while to get things right from what I've seen.

curtis

Yea being a non paid sponsored beta tester sucks. I like buying from people thats been doing the stuff forever. It maybe badass but I really can't say. Just from looks the big holes in the flywheel scare me at first glance. the amount of heat the flywheel sees is enormous and yea less weight is what there going for but I see the flywheel having to be replaced from warpage after one track season where the PTT unit will keep going .

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Brianawd:
act=sh*t

ACT is flat out Garbage this has been proven over and over again! There are much better clutch options out there than this.

slugsgomoo

those holes are very typical in v8 twin/multiplate applications, since they typically use a 5.5" or 4.5" button clutch with a flexplate, which would look like that. Either that's not a 7.25 clutch like the ptt/qm or that render is showing something a bit different, because I can tell you for a fact, there isn't that much flywheel around the outside of the clutch on a DSM when you use a 7.25".

NateCrisman

I'll rock that, I'v always used ACT clutches and IMHO they are the only single disk clutch that stands a chance on a dragstrip oriented car. Been using ACT pressure plates and disks since like 1997, Iv only had a couple random failures of disk springs over the years (and Iv bought and used upwards of 15 of these clutches on many different dsm/evo cars. Made like 300+ passes (many many many mid 11's) in the Evo8 with their single disk clutch and it worked awesome.

Then again, standard 2600pp will likely be fine for me until I run 9's so I won't be spending any money on a twin disk clutch anytime soon either way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

my ACT single disc's have all taken a hell of a beating. i dont like the new ACT stuff, all my clutches have been the old style kits. i was only curious if someone had tried the ACT twin disc.

i agree with Curtis's point about buying the parts that the old skoolers use. they use the proven stuff... so i follow their choices. theyve seen the new parts come through, and seen what stayed around.

i wouldnt go out and buy an ACT twin disc yet.... theres a PTT in my 1g for a reason!

curtis

Quoting NateCrisman:
I'll rock that, I'v always used ACT clutches and IMHO they are the only single disk clutch that stands a chance on a dragstrip oriented car. Been using ACT pressure plates and disks since like 1997, Iv only had a couple random failures of disk springs over the years (and Iv bought and used upwards of 15 of these clutches on many different dsm/evo cars. Made like 300+ passes (many many many mid 11's) in the Evo8 with their single disk clutch and it worked awesome.

Then again, standard 2600pp will likely be fine for me until I run 9's so I won't be spending any money on a twin disk clutch anytime soon either way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Nate I bet a PTT would drop a half second on your ride first pass. Its freaky how much you lose from a slipping clutch you didn't realize was slipping till you install one of these.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned