The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

advice on clutch upgrade

prove_it

Currently I'm running close to 300whp on a 14b. I also have an old ACT 2100 clutch and it's starting to slip. I plan on getting up to the 400whp with a 16G and will be installing a 2600 PP and I was wondering if I would be better off with a six puck sprung disc, an ACT street disc or an OEM disc. I plan on driving this everyday. I rarely ever deal with traffic. There is a chance the car could make more power in the future. I will be replacing all the clutch componets. So what will I be better off with?

BrandonEchols

If I was in your shoes I would get an unsprung puck...

Brianawd

any thing but ACT

turbofonz

ACT street disks have come a long way in drivability and feel, and should be ok with the 2600.

Can't go wrong with a good pucked disk, but it'll drive crappier for sure. Look up Clutch-net disks, they have awesome sprung pucked disks.

I've put MANY miles on 2600's and only had on slip a long time ago with a tired OE disk. I replaced my street disk in my talon with a clutchnet sprung 4 puck... and the street disk is in my galant now. The pucked disk has been in for over a year now, with a LOT of low 11, slicked launches and never had a problem yet.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

My clutchnet sprung 6 puck had the center splines wear out in short order.

DynastyLCD

Quoting turbofonz:
ACT street disks have come a long way in drivability and feel, and should be ok with the 2600.

Can't go wrong with a good pucked disk, but it'll drive crappier for sure. Look up Clutch-net disks, they have awesome sprung pucked disks.

quoted for truth. i put down 400 awhp on a 2100/6 puck unsprung with no slipping issues what so ever.

as for the hub/splines wearing out - anythings possible, Jim. my PTT twin disc wore out half the splines in only the front disc. but the clutch discs have almost new thickness after 6.5k of DD use and street abuse, had normal feeling, no abonormal noise or slipping. go figure.

Gombos

I was at the same place with the same two clutches in my 2g. The street disc will be easier to drive on a day to day basis, but won't hold as much as the puck disc. On the other hand, a puck clutch is grabby, but nothing you can't get used to after a little driving time. Both should hold the 400whp with no issues. Since the car is a DD, I'd ask yourself which disc you would feel more comfortable driving everyday, and go with that.

broxma

As far as drivability, I have been very pleased with my Spec stg3 setup. It's probably got about 10-15K on it so far running who knows how much power, but feels as good as the day I broke it in. Also, the pedal feel is significantly nicer compared to the ACT.

/brox

Boost4U

I made 420 at the wheels on a fp green at 26 psi through a 2100 and a street disk. No need to over do it unless you just want room to grow.

beaner

Do not use a stock disc with an ACT pressure plate! I was told a stock disc will work and it did not. Realizing the car won't reverse out of the garage after assembling everything is an awful feeling.

I've been running a 2600 for about 9 years. I've always used a full face street disc. ACT must have changed the design as of late or something, because I was seeing many people online having the disc malfunction. Something about new ACT disc springs hitting the 'fingers' on the older pressure plates. When I needed a new disc last year, I went with South Bend. It's sprung and kevlar, I think it's at least an 8 puck. It works and feels the same as the full face ACT to me.

prove_it

I have an ACT 2600 PP laying around. Was going to use that so really looking for a disc. Next question is after the PP has been sitting for a year its got some surface rust on it. Is it still good, should I have it hot tanked or is there a better way to clean it up. It is used, but lightly.

MellowVR4

i got a spec clutch on mine, works great, havent launched yet but i will lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Galantvr4559

So has anyone hear used or had friends use the xtd clutches. I am thinking of goin stg 4 with a 6 puck unsprung. Any thoughts

BrandonEchols

Never have used one personally, but from what I hear they're known to hold down 400-500HP without issue, and for the price really can't be beat if that's true. Just make sure you use a true Mitsu TOB.

prove_it

Alright, I've narrowed my choice to two options:

ACT sprung 6 puck
-or-
SPEC sprung 6 puck

I'm favoring the ACT for some reason, just looking for input and experiences on these dics.

thank you!

Galantvr4559

I wouldnt go with a sprung disc unless its a stock clutch. Unsprung 6 puck will hold more power and u dont have the chance to dislodge a tension dampener spring.

broxma

The tendency for the springs to pop out of the disc seems directly related to the thickness of the surface material holding the pucks on and by proxy, the thickness of the tab holding the spring in place. I took some measurements of the thickness of the metal tab holding the spring in on a Spec clutch, an ACT 2100 and an Ebay F1 Racing clutch. In order of thick to thin it was Spec, ACT, F1. I did this when the spring on the temporary F1 plate I had, popped out and wedged between the flywheel and the disc. The Spec tab is twice as thick at the F1 and the ACT fell in between those two, but closer to the Spec than the F1. This was a year or so ago and I don't have the measurements anymore or I would post them for scientific purposes.

/brox

I've been fighting clutch issues as well. One thing that I can say, is that I prefer an unsprung disc over a sprung disc. Another thing I can say is that any clutch under certain conditions will have its drawbacks.

That being said, ask yourself "how do I truly drive?"

If you are like me, you used to beat the ever-loving sh*t out of your car every chance you got. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

But now you've learned that pulling tranny's out sucks, and you just want something that has some go powwa and can also be reliable and relatively failure free. So you decide to fix everything that could possibly affect gear selection/clutch engagement/pedal stiffness, and you screw it all up.

Then you wish that you would stop listening to all of these people that say ACT sucks and you only drive your car when you have to, until you can put a 2600/4 puck unsprung combo back in it.

But what do I know?

Between my old talon and my current GVR4, I've killed more tranny's than I have fingers and toes, and at least 10 clutches over a combined 90ish thousand miles.

I will say that your flywheel needs to be machined by a professional, and this pro needs to be able to prove that he or she has properly cut the step!

prove_it

So what brand(s) do you prefer?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts