The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A/C fan fuse keeps blowing

jepherz

Staff member
Over the past year, twice now, the 30 Amp A/C fan fuse has blown on one of my cars. As much as I don't like just replacing the fuse, I know it's obviously not a direct short to ground or anything else I'm concerned about. Is it possible that when the fan is older it just draws more current when starting up which could blow the fuse? Am I correct in saying that physically stopping the fan while current is running through the windings would result in no resistance and either blow the fuse or burn out the windings? If my assumptions are wrong, what else could be causing this problem?

Terry Posten

It most likely is a sudden current draw when starting up. A digital multimeter won't show it either because the sample rate is too slow. If you can find an old needle meter, that will show the spike when starting.

But I would just get an aftermarket spal fan and rewire.

jepherz

Staff member
So am I correct in saying that a stopped fan is essentially a short, and that an older fan with older bearings and older windings will draw more current as well?

SouthCaliVR4

They definitely start drawing big amps to start em up, I've fixed a couple that started melting the wiring & harness. occasionally the bad fan motor will melt the damn fan too.

toybreaker

iconoclast
... this *may* be one of those times where there's a definate cause and effect ...

When everything is new and the motor gets full voltage, it'll start up and run just fine.

... after the harness starts to age, corrosion can and will begin in all the terminals becuase of the large current draw of the fan. That big ole honkin fan motor is one of the greediest sum'bitches for power on a car. Just the flow of current accross the terminals will heat them, and then over time, they start to oxidise and it lead to an ever increasing spiral of resistance creating heat creating corrosion, creating resistance which creates more corrosion and so on ...

... till every connection is the system looks like this ...

The poor motor will suffer this indignity for awhile, but then it will start to run hot because it's starved for power, and this will lead to it's eventual demise.

Quoting jepherz:
So am I correct in saying that a stopped fan is essentially a short, and that an older fan with older bearings and older windings will draw more current as well?

^^^ and now we get to the crux of the matter!

That is exactly true!!!

Anything that inhibits the fan from moving off from a dead stop will increase the start up current substantially.

If the corrosion on the termnials/connections chokes the start up current, it takes longer for the motor to begin rotating, and that will logrythmitcally increase both the length and current of the start up spike.

Along the way, the current draw will become more than the fuse can take, and *poof* that's that.

A new motor will "cure" the problem for awhile, but it will lead a short service life if the voltage drop is not addressed.

That said, when troubleshooting this type of circuit, I always check the current draw directly to the fan motor, quick and dirty like, with a fused jumper wire set before I just condemn the fan motor.

A good choice for a fuse in this case would be one that's rated for five amps under the usual fuse spec.

Just unplug the fan motor, and use the jumpers to feed it straight from the battery to the motor thru the plug on the pigtail from the motor.

If the fan will run on that set-up, I'll spend some time cleaning up the various terminal/connections. A small metal toothbrush will make short work of this task, and after they are shiny, a little di-electric grease on them will keep them that way.

I'll also check to see what the voltage drop is across the relay. That can be done with a meter, but just feeling if it's getting hot while the motor is running will also tell the tale. Their contacts can and often do get burned by the extra current a dying motor can draw.

Don;t forget the ground side of things, either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Make sure everything is tight and corrosion free there as well.

I only mention this because I've had a few of these silly cars pop that fuse, and after replacing the fan with another that worked fine in another car and still having the fuse pop, I had to look for a cause, and that's what I found.

If after getting things all clean you still gots problems,... then you can pitch the fan with a clear conscience and know the replacement has the best chance for along life.

jepherz

Staff member
Thanks for the tips John, but I'm a little confused. I know that it's quite possible for the fuse to blow if the fan is old now. However, the fuse is only going to blow if the current through the circuit exceeds the rating of the fuse, between the two fuse prongs. Given that the voltage is steady (in this case always 12-15 volts) and that a bad connection at the connectors equates to putting a fuse inline, and given that V=IR, I don't see how a voltage drop across a connector or two, or the relay would actually blow the fuse. Melt a connector, yes, but blow the fuse? Unless you're saying the combined voltage drop across all of the connectors in the path equates to a lower voltage at the fan (say 10 volts) which means longer-than-normal start-up current which blows the fuse, but I was always under the understanding that fuses blow as soon as their current rating is met; usible links would allow snaps of higher than rating current to pass through without shutting down the circuit.

If the fan and each connector can all be replaced with a resistor to simulate their drain on the power system, adding additional resistors (simulated corroded connectors) should only lower the current draw on the actual fuse.

Oh yeah, and I know all about corroded connections in autos. With my 240z restoration, every inch of 40 year old wiring is oxidized. And the 15 year old crappily added butt connectors are even worse! Hence why I solder all of my joints.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned