The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 galant spark knock ??????

All stock even air cleaner. Hbc boost controller and turned all the way down still shows 10psi. Car spark knocks I have now seen that the prev owner had a safc2 that is now unpluged. And even though new plugs and wires and timing is correct it spark knocks at boost ......... so driving it is not fun at all. It does have a 16g turbo that's it and the air cleaner box is all there but I did notice. On the air cleaner there is a plug with a vacume line missing it looks like it was removed to splice or use when the boost controller. Was added ... I'm not sure what is going on it acts like there I not enough.fuel rising rate or fuel presure not increAsing ????????

Hertz

Staff member
You need to do a boost leak test, ensure that all the intercooler piping is solid.

A stock system of this age, in Arizona, you likely have a split in one of the rubber pipes.

Checked pressure using a guage and one of the lines from the turbo shows 12psi ????? If there was a leek would the turbo spool to twice stock trying to make up for leak

boostedinaz

First things first, you don't need 5 threads for the same issue. As long times members see this they will be less inclined to help.

You said you unplugged the AFC, did you litteraly just unplug it or did you un-install it correctly? If you just unplugged it then the ECU isn't getting a singal from the MAF and that is most likely what the issue is. As for your question, yes a boots leak will make the turbo work harder than it has to.

What number is this car out of curiosity?

1101 /2000 and the wireing diagram shows to only reconnect two wires to set the maf back at ecu then just unplug the unit?

boostedinaz

Interesting. That's my old car that I assume you bought from Nick.

As long as you reconnected the MAF wire then the car should be back to stock. As for knock you would really need to boost leak test it and get a logger to hook up to it. I know when I owned it that it had a logger cable already in the car hooked up to a custom panel. You just needed a Palm and the program.

Again you really need to keep all the info in one thread instead of updating one thread with half the info and another thread with half the info.

Last edited:

I understand and no I bought from some kid who told me it was a rebuilt motor and all kinds of stuff that was not true .. called nick and he said that all he did was add the safc. Then. Sold it .when I bought it the hood is carbon fiber and there is large wire that was routed to the battery ....I think it was for an amp ... just other weird things only 3 bolts were left on the timing belt cover ... there is a vacume line that leeds to a clear filter. .... just odd stuff and the boost controller when turned all the way down still boost to 10psi ????

boostedinaz

Sigh.

It was a super nice car at one point to bad that may not be true any longer. The AFC was actually a borrowed AFC that I left in the car and was supposed to be return to me at some point but has yet to happen. When I got it from Mike the only "mods" done to it were a brand new subframe from Mistu with a 4 bolt swap an the 4WS was removed. The guy in CA he bought it from had bent the subframe doing something stupid.

I put on the 93 headlights with the HIDs and even did a write up on how to clean them up really nice in the how to section here. I redid the entire trunk and put in the stereo system and had a thread going here with the details. The 1G shifter and leather boot were my doing as well as the 89 underdash, gauge pod under the CD player, new GR2s with Whiteline lowering springs (NLA), new rear calipers, Bshaft removal, new timing belt, tint, and door trim paint.

When I put that 16G on it I had amassed a bunch of parts to make it a quick daily driver but still dead nuts reliable. I put that Halman on it as I was going to do the upgrades at the same time but sold the parts and the car shortly after. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That hood came off of #3 of a 1000 that Mike bought after he sold me 1101 a started to miss having a GVR4. He now has a vented JDM style carbon hood on #3. The original spoiler off 1101 was sold to a guy in Chandler who still has it on his GVR4 as far as I know.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned