The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad knock sensor?

Hello again all and thanks ahead of time

My 91 galant is having a weird issue first let me explain what has been so far ... Had a bad exaust leak the mani. Fixed now next replaced the pvc valve and hose .and I also replaced the plugs with ngk iridiums gaped at .44 per the store I bought them at ..... When car is first driven it runs ok but around 3000rpm I can hear like a valve or rocker or something and it seems to go away the car also starts to act like the car is flooded like its real heavy but the boost keeps raising to 10psi . After driving around not realy boosting I can hear the valves or something even worse and I think I hear spark knock at low idle and to try and floor it the car will jerk real hard like out of gas......gonna complete a boost test this weekend but even /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifa leak should not make me valves or lifters noisy after its been driven a bit.... This makes.no.noise ar idle but if you rev it I can.hear a slight wrapping or something???? Coud this be a bad knock sensor ????

misfitsnemesis

Gap in the plugs seems really wide. I usally stay around 30 on gapping in plugs. 44 seems really high and would cause some problem up top i would say.

My knock sensor wire was in two pieces when i replaced mine. Was throwing a CEL but not cause the problem you described.

Last edited:

update thats all she wrote must have been a bad oil pump or something now all I hear is this tapping ontop somewhere and when I shift I hear a winding noise so gonna park it since I have no money and no friends to help.me out ....trashed a 3000 car and I did not even drive it hard people who sold to me saw me coming for sure thanks to all who tried to help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Nartanian

I don't want to jump the bullet, but it could be a spun rod bearing. Does the knocking get worse when the engine is warm? A video clip with good sound quality of the car idling and cruising would be helpful too.

Last edited:

Yes it does but.it sounds like from top of motor and I hear a winding.sound when revs come down ...of course I dont have a data logger im a dummy in the dsm dep. Look any one in az who can help me get me car up and I will trade my 46 inch dlp 720p almost new looking t.v help dont want to sell it I will make a video and lost later as for pressure starts.oit great going up to 70 then just sitting around 40 & car runs like there is no oil

Have you checked the oil for metalic flakes? BTW the gaps to high. .28-.33 is a normal range for the 7's

Last edited by a moderator:

update ......pulled valve cover dont see ,metal or nothing out of place so on to next step I will drain oil and look for flakes thanks again for the help

SouthCaliVR4

Pull & cut your oil filter open as well, take a look at what's in there, If it's a fram get a different brand to replace it.

will do thanks again and yes its fram I wonder if my belt jumped a couple of teeth ?

dont know how to tell if its a bent valve?

click

click

the video is crappy but maybe some of you can tell what is wrong thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

gvr4tel

Hi, i just dealt with a noise on my Vr4 that's quite similar
to what i heard on your clip. Check the pulley of your AC compressor
and see if you are missing any of the 6 small bolts that
hold the outer pulley to the compressor.

Mine was making a god awful racket just like yours.
Easy way to see if that is where it is coming from, is to pull
the AC belt. If noise disappears that's the problem.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned