The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 galant gs turbo charged

So I need some guidence, I have a 1990 galant gs that I have tried to get running properly and have failed over and over so I need somones insight. This is the setup,

.57trim t3 t4
60mm wastegate
Stainless valves
3mm overside lash adjusters
Multi layer head gasket
3in apexi full exhaust
2g hacked maf
450cc inj. With the resister box wired in with 2g plugs
Front mount intercooler
Plx wideband
Blitz fit
blitz boost controller
The bottom end is stock na crank with acl bearings and 1g turbo pistonswith balance shafts removed

Here is my problem I can't keep the car running after it warms up. I know its running rich but I've tried to lean it out with the
Blits fit but dosent matter. I overheated the motor pretty bad trying to lean it out and have had problems ever since. Now I know that I need to rebuild motor because it didn't even get a chance to break in. I think the main problem is the fact I don't have a turbo ecu on it, I need to know what to do please help me.

AnotherNewb

You NEED the proper ecu. Your problem is that it's TOO lean. Also you are going to need a way to compensate for your 2g maf.

mistaVR4

Might also help to upgrade your injectors....550's, I'd go with 660's, and get an FPR. Just a quick thought. And definitely get the correct ECU, that is VERY critical..

Last edited:

so 660, i got a fpr but what fuel pressure should i be set at? And as far as ecu should i use a ecu from a vr4 or can i use a turbo eclipse ecu. also the wiring harness is na so with the hacked 2g maf is this a problem since im not using 2 of the wires.

donkeylips

Do you have a knock sensor? I'm not that familiar with converting a NA harness for use in a turbo car, but I've heard you only need to add a few things. I'm also not sure what the difference will be between a '90 Galant wiring harness and the '91+, you might want to look into this.

You're trying to run 450cc injectors with a 2g MAS and a non-turbo ECU. None of those things work well together. If you want to run the 2g mas, try a turbo ecu, and 550cc injectors.

Get the ecu from a manual turbo DSM because the autos had smaller injectors. For your car I don't know if you want a '90 or a '91-'94. A GVR4 ECU is basically the same as a '91-'94 DSM Eprom.

What I would do, is get a 1g/gvr4 MAS, keep the 450s for now, get a non-eprom DSM ecu, and try to get the car running stock first. Add your knock sensor and what have you, and once it's running right, mod from there. You can get the entire stock intake pipe and with the ecu this shouldn't cost you more than $100.

You're going to need to research how to convert an NA harness to a turbo harness. People here do this to GGSXs fairly often. People probably do it to NA 2.0L 1G DSMs more often. The GGSX info is exactly what you need - I'm not sure about the DSM because of the '90 differences.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned