The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

89 unerdash won't line up, who has done the install?

This 89 underdash with pocket is not lining up. What do I need to cut or weld to make this damn piece of plastic fit properly? :rolleyes:

Pictures are always welcome.

Thanks

ercp98

what part of it does not line up? the lower, where the air vent is or the upper part?
I installed mine with out the a/c pieces but I kept the metal brace in the lower part.
I don't remember it being a difficult install.

boostedinaz

Hmm. When I did it with 1101 it all went together fairly easy. I'll look tonight and see if I can find any pictures of the install. If not we can tackle is Sat.

GVR4_1057

Is there metal bracing in there that must be removed? I remember something like that.

boostedinaz

I remember something like that as well.

I'll head out to the sweat lodge again and see if I can identify what is hindering it from lining up.

Muskrat

There are 2 brackets for the old underdash that must be unbolted.

Also, it has a different shape, and so your dash ends will stick out past the uderdash panel. That can't be avoided, but isn't noticeable unless you look for it.

belize1334

There's actually THREE metal brackets to remove. Two of them are big and are there to support the ridiculous weight of the stock panel. The third is smaller and sits right about where the pocket on the 89 Panel will be. Once those are gone it lines up pretty well. You'd have to look close to see any discrepancy.

89 underdash DUN. Thanks for the help.

Those two big brackets are probably 16 oz each. There is also a third small metal tab to be removed. Combined with the heavy ass US spec underdash with that entire metal backing I'd say I just shedded 3 lbs and now I have a pocket to boot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh and I get my sack vent back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

belize1334

Yeah the bang_for_your_buck of the '89 underdash is really hard to beat. Minimal actual performance value but it put a big smile on my face when I was done.

fuel

can anyone explain this 89 underdash thing to me? I wasn't aware there was a difference between the dashes from 87 through to 92

boostedinaz

They 89s had a nice mini glove box type thing on the driver side. When I had 1101 I put an AFC in it and worked very well.

Maybe Mike will post up a pic. I thought I had one of mine but couldn't find it.

Last edited:

SmoothCustomer

They are also less than half the weight, especially when you get to remove those brackets.

Edit: but Fuel is from NZ so I have no idea what the deal is there.

Last edited:

fuel

oh weird, had no idea they changed for the US after '89. All Galants I've seen here have that mini glovebox and the little air vent underneath the steering column - what replaces it on the post '89 US models then, is it just blank?

boostedinaz

^^^^

Yeah a big bulky blank piece that weighs a ton.

rheckert

I think the reasons are crash test related. Stupid US government.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned