The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

8.8 in a GVR4

mitsuturbo

That'd be the cheap and easy way to do it, huh?
But who wants to buy someone else's abortion? Nobody i have ever known, that's for sure!

Last edited:

boostedinaz

Quoting Terrance362:
Well I understand but here is a question for you> What can I do to make a 3 bolt or 4 bolt stronger

As mentioned have you broken a 3 bolt or even a 4 bolt? Is the car even running at this point and making consistent passes? My guess on the above questions is no to both. Many people have gone VERY fast on the stock rear end. If you want you can get upgraded axles, maybe cryo treat the stubs, etc...

My .02 is get the car on the road making good power then hit the track and get some consistent runs. Once all of that is accomplished THEN think about going with an 8.8.

IncorpoRatedX

i love when people make their projects more of a project and less of a car by doing completely unnecessary stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

DynastyLCD

didnt shep use a solid rear end in his car towards the end? i think i had heard it was a ford 9".

boostedinaz

^^^^^^^

He was also running in the 7s so it's a bit of a different situation.

Ok I was thinking 8.8 solid axle. Its a popular swap for S10 guys. The cobra IRS isn't all that great. My buddy has a 2000 Cobra R (yeah only 300 made) and it has quite an upgraded IRS from the normal 8.8, and an aftermarket cooler on it. It is over 500hp NA, (not stock) and he tracks it, mostly roadcourse but it sees the strip too. He's only running low 11s as its really not set up to launch (road course car) but he has had trouble with breakage and overheating. IMHO if you're looking for bulletproof this isn't it. Sure its been done, no one is saying it can't, but
1. You're not breaking stock stuff, why do you need it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
2. If you are destroying stock stuff, how much better is this really going to be?
3. There may be better options. The Porsche axles, maybe cryo ring and pinion together may be as strong or stronger than the 8.8?

gtluke

The 8.8 swap will seriously drop 100lbs off the car. I can pick up and carry my mustang's rear end with the control arms attached to it from my driveway to the back of my house into the shed, by myself. can you imagine lifting an assembled GVR4 rear end? suspension + diff + axles

The mustang 8.8 has the same exact 5 lug bolt spacing as our cars, the hub is slightly large, I don't think OEM talon wheels fit on well.

What i always think of doing is figuring out how to swap an evoIII or 2g rear end into my galant. Those are probably 75lbs lighter, possibly more than that. That whole subframe thing in our car is retarded.

The IRS 8.8 is a waste of time, you aren't really gaining anything besides complication.

A few years ago someone finally came out with 3.90 8.8 gears so I can even run one in my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, the rest of you have 3.55's

mountaineerjeff

RedTwo

Someone mentioned this before, I'm sure of it...
Anywho, in that discussion Brendon Nguyen's VR4 RS with a Nissan Z33 350Z 9" rear diff came up. Looks like it just bolts right up.... to his custom body shell space frame! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif :rolf:

mrnvit

im just going to go for something nice and simple like a hilux solid rear end in the gsr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

boostedinaz

You could always take it to a good fab guy and have him make a custom subframe. Here is something along the lines in a Subaru.

R200

Last edited:

RedTwo

If I ever need something beefier, I think I will just put skids on and fire up the afterburner... first kiwi in orbit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned