The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

786/2000 Build

4thStroke

Soooo... i took the car out for some 1600ft roll racing today. Maxed out my little bolt on 30R at 39psi (doesn't hold that out the top, obviously). Take it with a grain of salt, but it logged 60lb/min today for a moment. I suspected it was time for some new plugs and took a spare set with me. I made a pass, and sure enough, it broke up. Threw some new plugs in and made 4 more passes that were absolutely flawless. Not a single issue with the car today. That 39psi spike comes on hard and I went into the day not ruling out it wouldn't load back into the trailer under its own power. I was wrong. The tranny doesn't like to shift and I pissed the clutch off as well. My shifts were .8+ second, so I spent more time off the throttle than I should have. But... its still driving just like it did when I dropped it off last night.

From a 40mph roll, I logged 146.6mph at the 1600' mark. Roll racing like this can be a bit deceiving. The ETS GTR for instance, was only 3.x mph faster in the half mile at speeds well over 200mph from a roll at the shift sector events.

slugs has some video and stills from today. More videos should surface, I'll post them up when they pop up.

I need to get the car on the dyno and see what it's actually making for power.

Last edited:

4thStroke

It might be the broken air vents, they clank around from time to time, but I've learned to tune them out.

Thanks for posting up the pictures and video, Andrew.

ApexHunter

Nice!

Still the same motor from 09 or whenever it was that you and ER rebuilt it?

Your most recent reported power figure was ~440whp, when you let your brother drive it. Previously you reported peak power in the ~550 range. What's with the big discrepancy? Re-calibrated dyno or different dyno altogether?

4thStroke

Its still the same motor with 45k miles on it. This motor has been through a lot, including an injector failure where the injector didn't completely shut off, but went way lean and torched a hole in the cylinder head and put a divot in the block just outside the fire ring. The head was welded and resurfaced, the block was lapped, and I copper sprayed a new MLS head gasket and threw it back together. I normally wouldn't spray a head gasket, but I didn't want to chance it.

The 440whp is what it makes on 92 octane. The 550whp is the ethanol number. But, with the new fuel system and the turbo turned all the way up, it should be very close to 600whp right now. I've only dynod on English's dynojet.

ApexHunter

OK gotcha, makes way more sense especially with it logging 60 lb/min. I probably should have guessed. Anyway it's always nice to see what kind of mileage people are getting out of their rebuilt shortblocks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned