The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

786/2000 Build

teamhightower

I want to thank you for all the fine work you've done on my car. Your rental period is about up and I'd like you to please return 786 to my driveway. You may pickup 1392 and perform similar work.

Nice job, Dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4thStroke

Hey Greg! I was just thinkin about sending you a PM to see how things were going. How is 1392 doing? Im sure I can figure something out for it as long as its with someone elses money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

That day I picked up 786, I had no idea what kind of ride I was in for. Between you and Jeff Bush, I dont know who to blame more for my financial disaster. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You were right when you told me, "Mitsubishis leave a lifetime of memories."... or something like that.

4thStroke

I have to stay away from the track. Things break there too often and the car wont be legal to run after a full pass. Im not saying it will never be there, but I really should stay away.

Holy torque steer. I let my cousin drive it tonight, while I drove his freshly tuned 02 WRX with a complete STi sway and FP Green on methanol. When he got on it, the car just about instantly jerked to the left. I feel it when I drive, but its a little humerous watching it from outside. That open dump is astonishingly loud. The car squats like it did when the AGXs were set to nearly full soft (now they are cranked all the way stiff), and its much more evident the turbo is doing nearly all the work where as the Subie is not near as on/off as the 4G63.

Im having a lot of fun with it!

Woody

513hp on 30psi street car is sweet, i know with that power level things start to break but thats a part of the game.

Brianawd

Take it to the track. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

Bleh, you know what haapens at the track. Id love to, but Id rather wait till I get some larger injectors in there and really crankin.

It going back on the dyno tomorrow, 6:00pm.

4thStroke

Thanks, ihatefall.

The new numbers are...

557hp, 455tq.

The 1250s are at 100% duty cycle. Now fully operational on speed density, drives much nicer now!

4thStroke

Hahahaha, yeah Mark, I dont know when to stop. This car was bone stock back when I got it in October. Its came a long ways.

Sounds like you have a twin disc and a rear bumper for me. Hmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

Jeez Bryan, you got home fast. You must have been speeding.

On the on ramp, 2nd gear, it yanked left a little at first, then hard to the right. WTF. I think the nature of the road has a lot to do with the way it torque steers.

Brianawd

Nope. I just took 205 to 84 to 99e. Its supper fast that way late at night.

Now you just need some 1650s

4thStroke

sh*t, I forgot to talk to Lucas about what size to step up to next. Its better I dont for a while, because we all know how I tend to react when I know which route Im eventually going to take.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:

Sounds like you have a twin disc and a rear bumper for me. Hmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yeah, the grabby'ness gets a bit old when driving alot on the street. I've been tempted lately to go back to a regular clutch since I'm not racing my car. I'll probably stick it out for awhile and try a couple things before I go back though. I still like the quick shifts when running through the gears.

Do you need a USDM rear bumper or something? I have two of them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4thStroke

If you end up wanting to ditch the twin, let me know. My 2600/6 puck is hating life right now.

My rear bumper has a tear in it and a little other damage, so I could use a new rear USDM bumper. Are they both green? Id imagine one of them has the extra metallic and 6 coats of clear that wouldnt be an exact match, but usable.

Last edited:

turbowop

One came off the grey car, the other off my green one. The green bumper is perfect. Literally. It is a tad different shade though. Basically, we just used a different type (more coarse) of metallic in the basecoat and it darkened the color. I wasn't really planning to sell it, but lemme know if you want it and we can work something out. Grey one is in good shape as well, would just need one of my special rattle can paint jobs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

The car was retuned not too long ago. Luke added some timing and cleaned up the AFR. The baseline that day was 402whp I believe. The result: click

I've had sensors go out or not work for a while. At one point, I had no TPS, front O2, IAT, and a 4 bar MAP sensor that kept cutting out, causing the car to kill the ignition and break up and buck.

I have more free time than I know what to do with now, so I've been going through the car and have fixed the above issues, save for the front O2, I plan on simulating that with the AEM wideband. I also want to spend some time and get a solid open loop tune for it. I've been doing a good amount of reading and may start here any day.

I did the Evo suspension swap. It has Evo Robispec springs at the moment, but I'm going to pull those and chop up a set of stock Evo springs. I can't get myself to cut up a perfectly good aftermarket Evo spring. It dropped the rear perfectly, but the front ride a little high for my liking.

And for the picture whores:

Recent photo taken by the I-5 Bridge

Evo interior (redone headliner in black micro suede, center console, and dyed carpet). I've also been replacing trim pieces that I broke/were broken and/or missing. I added the '89 underdash as well. Interior light bezels were sprayed with satin black paint to match the rest of the interior.

I'm actually quite content with where the car is at right now. It makes for a fun daily driver, and now that I have the "I want to daily drive a high horsepower car and use it for what it was built for" mentality out of my head, I have no problem cruising around without seeing much (if any) positive pressure.

I did break an input shaft. It was a stock tranny. We figure since one of the dowel pins was badly worn, it put too much of a side load on the shaft and caused it to break. I was only accelerating up to speed at light throttle when it let go. While it was out, I replaced the Quartermaster plates with the revised set from TMZ. The splines weren't looking too good so I figured it'd be a good time to swap the out. The revised plates drive much nicer, although I still get an abnormal amount of noise on decel (which did not change by going from the old discs to the new discs).

I recently even let my little brother (who's 18 years old) borrow the car while his truck was at the shop for a fuel pump. He drove the car up to Longview and back for work (80 miles a day I would figure) for work. I had to meet up with him [only] once to disable the idle switch when it stuck on him, luckily he was just a short drive away from me. I left the car as is, 440whp and all. Ballsy? Maybe. He loved it and now understands what the fuss is all about.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned