The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

$3.33 catch can special

they have the bare stainless ones at the supermarket i work at. I guess i'll have to pick one up now since i do need a catch can.. thanks for the great idea!

JNR

I say go for it. This seems to work fine right now and yeah, like the price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OK, (for you hertz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) here's a quick, crude sketch of what the GTO version looks like. It would be similar for the VR4, except the 'vacuum' side would be hooked up to the intake 'pipe', -or- you would not put that nipple on and run a breather at the top, if you don't want to recirc. For smog purposes, I will though and probably put breather and plug 'vac' side when not under the watchful eye of nazism. Also note that on the VR4 application, the 'crankcase' would be the valve cover 'nipple'.

Note that if you were to put something like this on the GTO and you decide to add forced induction (s/c, turbo), you would want to put a checkvalve on the 'vacuum' side to allow only flow towards the source. Othersie, pressure would go backwards and put the oil, etc. back into the crankcase...

1941Galant

You could always have the vacuum side of the catch can going to the turbo intake on the VR4 since there would be a vacuum in the intake, not pressure. You could do the same with the GTO, as long as you are plumbing the vacuum side of the CC before the SC or turbo so there isn't any boost pressure going into the catch can.

Last edited:

Don't want to thread jack, but what is the general consensus regarding vacuum/pcv/breathe side of catch cans? When I searched I came up with every config imagineable in terms of sealed, w/ breather, PCV and no breather, PCV and breather. For a daily driver setup, will they all perform equally? What about for race?
Just curious as I'm getting ready to make one up myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned