The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g pistons

mountaineerjeff

so I got screwed on my recent buy, and am trying to get it back on the road. I have $0 of my budget left.

I was prepping the motor last night to go back together. I have everything I need to make the car run right now. however in the middle of me checking the deck my buddy makes a comment on our cereal bowl shaped pistons. I laugh, and go back to work, and he comes back a couple minutes later and gives me a new set of pistons. so I have an issue.

first I can just put the car together today and be done with it.

second is I can try and make these 2gs work. whats the cheapest way to do this, while making sure the new setup is an improvement. My buddy thinks we can get away with just buying some parts store rings. and still be better off than the unknown mileage on the rings in the motor. bearings should be reusable. but after looking into apparently im going to have issues with the oil squirters and the rod bolts? also anyone reading this feel free to let me know if you have any super cheap parts that could help out.

dsm10o0

I've been researching this set up for a while now. You will need to have your 1g rods machined to accept the bigger 2g wrist pins. Some people have problems with the oil squirters hitting and some people didn't. There's a thread on tuners about it, I'll look for it and post it up.

mountaineerjeff

yea, I know about the some people problem with squirters, thats why I posted it. the machining shouldnt be an issue.

Adorsey

I have 2g pistons and made the stock oil squirters work. Its hard, but you have to hold them away (left) from where it would hit the piston while you tighten the banjo (right) they may be close, but mine looked alright. (Dont forget to check the torque spec)
Then obviously check that the stroke will not be effected, and it will do its job. I did not want to buy and wait for the Evo ones to come so I tried this and it was alright.
GL

broxma

I haven't had any problems with my Evo pistons hitting them. However, if you are at zero dollars, the machine work, unless you can get it for free, will be probably 40 a rod.

/brox

mountaineerjeff

the machine work I get on trade. the rings I think I got from something I sold today. plus even better is the machinist said that if it doesnt turn out exactly as it should he'll buy me a new motor....what are the issues of the rod being slightly narrow? like if they did it .050 instead of .040? just wondering how tight those clearances need to be.

IncorpoRatedX

rodspecs2.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

I took that with me to the machine shop along with the pistons and rods, they took care of it for me under $100, i bent my squirters just a little and never had an issue.

mountaineerjeff

yea, but thats not really what im asking...first I thought they had to be narrowed a 1mm which would be .040 which makes me think that the info has a misprint. or that it really doesnt matter if it is a little narrow, as long as it isnt too thick.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned