The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

22/1000 left for dead

red96eclipse

Went and looked at galant last night that was posted forsale on Facebook.
My buddy got a hold of guy because I don’t have Facebook. I called the guy.
Set up time to go look at car last night.
Down in south Trenton New Jersey.
Boy did that feel sketchy as sh*t.
Middle of night dark as sh*t.
Guy wants 4,000 has no title. Say was abandoned.
Couldn’t get it start last night.
Ecu box is have rotted. Sunroof or windshield must leak. On passenger side never seen one so bad.
has tons of good parts on it to use. Interior is shot.
I offered 3,000 for car.
to save it for parts. Said he was going to pull motor and trans and scrap car. I said I won’t car complete together if want to sell it.
I got guy today running the vin on vehicle to make sure it’s not reported stolen or anything.

IMG_4289.jpeg

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4280.jpeg

IMG_4279.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

gvr4ever

Maybe it depends on the state, but any legit owner should be able to get a replacement title. When I traded in my last car, I couldn't find the title, and it only cost like $20 to get a new one. The dealer was oddly cool about it. They let me order a new one and mail it to them, after I bought the new car and drove it home. If you never plan to get it on the road again, maybe a title isn't needed if you're never going to register it, but to me, that is a big red flag. At least make sure it's not stolen so no one can ever come after you later.

CharvelGrinder

If you get it to part out, I’m in dire need of a fuel tank with the mounting hardware/sending unit etc. I bought my car without any of it.

Last edited:

red96eclipse

I had the vin ran today by local cops. And it’s not reported stolen or anything. Was last registered in new Jeresy. And was once in Florida. I found paper work in car about it.
I might part out. The interior is trashed seats are garbage and all. Rust coming off the seats.

gvr4ever

Maybe I'm missing something from the pictures, but that doesn't look like a full salvage car to me. Is mold in the seat foam? Is it a full blown rust bucket?

red96eclipse

Inside is destroyed. And no keys to it
I’ll get more this weekend
It was abandoned and Salavage guy picked up for towing it into his storage yard. Say 2 years been sitting in his lot.

bcallahan92

i have an extra set of door(s), trunk, ignition, fuel locks with matching key(s), if someone snags this let me know. willing to help! only catch is get this thing going if youre truly about it. good luck to who that may be.

red96eclipse

i have an extra set of door(s), trunk, ignition, fuel locks with matching key(s), if someone snags this let me know. willing to help! only catch is get this thing going if youre truly about it. good luck to who that may be.
I did buy it today if the guy. It’s missing ignition cylinder and key

red96eclipse

End up getting good deal
On car. Got it to sputter but plugs are fouled. I’ll get video next day or two. When I get in shop and get in air.
Car has 71,000 original miles
Theirs picture in the good days of car.

IMG_4311.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

gvr4ever

I hope you can save it. AMMO and others have video's on detailing trashed interiors. While it might looked trashed today, I doubt it is truly gone forever and can't be saved. Just more work. Probably way more labor than cost.

gvr4ever

I'd be worried about trying to get it running without knowing the timing belt history. At least take the top cover off and make sure it doesn't look old or have any cracks or dry rotting. Not sure how useful a visual inspection is, but at least make sure it's not visibly old looking. I'd change it first thing if it were my car. Water pump too.

*Edit: I see an out of focus picture of the timing belt, and it's after market, but the cams look really dusty/dirty. I would still be a little worried, unless you have documentation that it was done in the last 10 years, 60K miles.

Last edited:

red96eclipse

My biggest thing will be find and interior for it.
So many pieces missing passenger seat is garbage. Half missing.
Sunvisor rotted off.
Sunroof seal is long gone.
No glove box.
No truck piece.
I need ignition lock cylinder.

Pulling injectors and getting them cleaned.
Then changing oil and filter in it. Putting battery in wanna fire it up let it heat cycle once.
Motor paint looks brand new still on it.

gvr4ever

The engine bay looks surprising good. I have no ideal how to tune that old skool HKS stuff. Hopefully documentation exists some place. The radiator looks original. I had a pin hole leak in mine about 8 years go, give or take.

gvr4ever

Interesting that the stock boost gauge showed a little boost while revving. Wondering if it has a aftermarket chip that shows knock... Maybe.. As far as I know, we have a shortage and no replacements for knock sensors. If this is outdated, please let me know. I'll order a spare.

Edit*. At least it's running... Fuel could be old/bad. The fuel tank does have a drain plug.... I'd start with fresh fuel, fuel filter, plugs, wires, check base timing. Fuel pump sock filter is probably nasty if it sat for a long time. Do a hot compression test and see if you have a good engine to work with.

red96eclipse

I think it might read knock. It has hks vein pressure converter on it and afc wired up
To ecu. Its speed density setup but old school way.
I got get ignition lock cylinder and housing. They broke this one at the towing place.
I got start looking for complete interior seats carpet.
Some trim pieces

Last edited:

red96eclipse

Got galant into shop today.
To change oil and filter
Swap tires out for something better.
Give it good look over on underside of vehicle.
Also picked up some rear pads and rotors from my local autozone. Order me in some power stop pad and rotors for 72.00 bucks good deal
Found out car has 4 bolt rear in it.

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

IMG_4358.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4356.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg

IMG_4351.jpeg

IMG_4349.jpeg

IMG_4347.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

IMG_4342.jpeg

gvr4ever

It looks like a good surviver and fully savable. Just keep an eye on the coolant system and any leaks. At this point, leaks of any kind. I've had to reseal my oil pan, put new seals on the turbo oil return valve cover, etc. Once sorted and safe, drive her, but also watch for any issues. I can turn key my car any time I want, but I also wouldn't take it on a cross country road trip.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned