The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g to 2g

so i know the suspention doesnt wotk will a 2g trans work with a 1g "gvr4"
thanks for yout time -dave

No it will not. You will need to find a first gen tanny and if it's a 90 you have swap the shifter and linkage I beleive.. If you are looking for one try Gary at Mitsubishi graveyard thats where I got mine.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Great price and rebuilt..

Barnes

They don't? I could have sworn they did. Just have to get a different starter plate. Anyone got confirmation either way? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

I believe there is some issue where the 2Gs had two transmission mounts and two engine mounts where a 1G has one transmission mount and three engine mounts. If I remember my reading correctly this is does not inhibit anything as you can still use the one transmission mount consistent with a 1G and then leave the other off entirely and run the three engine mounts. I've not done it myself but I know that there are 1Gs w/ 2G transmissions.

Polish

Quoting mac515:
No it will not.

Incorrect.

Here is a how-to from our very own forums on how to put a 2g trans into a GVR4.

click

Thank you, Come Again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barnes

Thanks Pilosh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Myles

Quoting onesicstar:
work with a 1g "gvr4"

Actually these are sixth generation Galants.

Last edited:

Gimpin

a 2g tranny will work in a 1g dsm / gvr4, but you might be better off selling the 2g tranny and buying a 1g one ... reason is 2G trannys are very desireable and are worth more than the 1g trannys because they are getting tough to find

you can put a 2g tranny in a 1g but not a 1g tranny in a 2g

Last edited:

sorry im new to the vr4 thing thanks for correcting me... thanks for the link to the how to install.so let me get this right cause i went to sean @full function and he said the casing was different..but im guessing its the whole 2 mount thing. so as long as i get the plate from the 2g it should bolt up to a 91 vr4.as far as the 22 or 23 spline i dont know how to check witch i have.how do i check?when i bought the car the guy said it has a jdm trans with the usdm transfer case he said it worked fine.i got the car in peices so yea.. and as far as gettting the 2 g trans i can get a shept racing trans cheap so i figure its gonna hold the power better.. thanks for all the help guys -dave

Hertz

Staff member
How do you check? You pull it out and count them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

thats what i figured but wasent sure if their was some crazy way to tell thanks for the info

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned