The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1990 Oil Filter Housing Question?

CP

Thanks for the info Mike. I actually WAS thinking about how to drain it during an oil change. In the location I have proposed, it will sit above the filter housing, so it should drain...if the thermostat is open. In reality, I probably won't be playing with oil over 180*, so this point is moot.

If yours doesn't drain, then you are not adding any extra oil (from stock) other than during that first fill after you installed it. Any idea how much more oil your system is utilizing with the addition of the cooler; somewhere around 5.5 quarts? More oil = more cooling faster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When you say "mounted vertically," are you saying that it's standing up on it's end where it's mounted? If I mounted it like this, I don't think I'll need to get another two 90* fittings, thus saving $40. But I'm not sure what the recommended mounting position is. I would guess that if the inlet was on top, and outlet below, this would aid in the flow of oil through the cooler. Like Colin said, at 75psi who really cares?

Last edited:

Yes, it is vertically oriented (taller than it is wide, flowing top to bottom). Sorry no pics to post.
Mike R.

CP

Well, I figured out why my fittings were leaking. I have the ones that MachV sells, 16x1.5 to -08AN. Turns out both ports on my filter housing were re-tapped to 3/8 NTP threads. So my fittings are too small. I'll throw the correct fittins in when they arrive this week. Until them, JB Quick is keeping the oil and fittings where they belong.

I also located the cooler vertically, on the passenger side just in front of the radiator. Sleepyvr4 made some nice brackets for it. It gets nice and hot, but is cooling the oil with 80* air rather than 210* coolant.

Last edited:

CP

Did anyone one find that some filters don't work with this housing? I think the Mobil 1 filters' gasket is too small for the external cooler housing. Mine has been leaking slightly since I installed it a few weeks ago. I just picked up a NAPA Gold filter, and the gasket has a much larger diameter than the Mobil filters. Hopefully this will put a final end to my leaks.

Bimmubishi

Lookin good Cy. You should weld the pipe, not JB weld just in case.

I think that I'm going to do the old NT waterpipe on my car when I take the motor out. The turbo contributes to high water temps in road racing when you run water through it.

CP

Here's what I'm talking about...

Good suggestion Alex. I'm not sure how long these rubber plugs will last. That may be on the list for my next visit ;^) I'm not sure if I'll need to have you tech the car again for COM on the 4th of July.

Hertz

Staff member
Could someone post some installation pics? I've got mine with the stock lines and my AC fan had to go because of it. I would like (very much) to figure out an installation with AC intact. I'm also most curious about the line routing.

And one more dumb question: How necessary is the NT water pipe, really? I'm running it just with the lines blocked off (only leaked once) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

Polish

I am doing mine tonight, I will try to remember to take some pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just looped the coolant lines, but haven't started it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
How necessary is the NT water pipe, really? I'm running it just with the lines blocked off (only leaked once) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...

Ask Doug Thomas how necessary it is. A fitting on either the waterpipe or the t-stat housing that a certain shop plugged with a piece of hose and a bolt pretty much cost him his car. Give yourself the piece of mind and get either a NT one or a 1990 one that you can easily put a proper brass plug into the turbo coolant feed line.

John

CP

I've got some rubber plugs and hose clamps that are standing in for the time being. I don't think you want to plug the coolant lines to the turbo (unless you aren't running a turbo that needs coolant for temp moderation), but rather the ones to the stock oil filter housing. There's one on the t-stat housing, and another on the big water pipe over by the PS pump.

powerplay

Ryan, this is the only picture I have showing where DSG mounted my oil cooler.

JB

I heart your car Scott. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

CP

Mine is generally in the same spot, but sits up a bit more behind the passenger side of the grill. I tried to replicate Scott's cooler placement.

atc250r

Staff member
The one on the t-stat housing is easily plugged if you pull the nipple out with a pair of pliers, tap it just a few turns with a 1/8" NPT tap and put a 1/8" NPT plug in the hole. I'd recommend some JB Weld on the plug to ensure there are no leaks. You can remove the water pipes to the turbo if you want, its a topic that'd be open for debate but if you turbo time the car and have an oil cooler I don't think it'd be a problem.

John

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I did that removal and plugging of the nipple coming from the thermo housing as well John, but IIRC, it is bigger than 1/8" NPT. Should be easy to determine size if someone does it though. Process is same as outlined regardless of size.

atc250r

Staff member
Yeah it's a hair bigger that's why I'd only run the tap in a couple of turns and then let the plug do the rest of the thread cutting. Perhaps a standard or metric bolt tap could be used and then just put a bolt in the hole?

John

Polish

Quote:
Could someone post some installation pics?

Well I took a few pics but all sucked except for this one. I only ended up getting it roughly mounted tonight, it has to come off so I can POR15 all the edges of the metal I cut away. Not sure if any of the AC components would be in the way to mount it here but you would need to have ABS eliminated for sure. I will be doing the lines tomorrow hopefully. They are going to be very short and will tuck behind the inner wheel well just barely. I will take some pics of them. Some may ask why I didn't mount it up front, well in short I didn't want to. There was an empty void where it's now mounted, the lines will be short, I can easily duct a nice air feed from the vacant fog light hole, and it's just where I wanted it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Polish

Here some more pics. Lines done. Also a Pic comparing a stock 90 oil cooler to the B&M Unit.

I por15'ed the bare metal where I cut and cleaned up the cuts you see with die grinder. It gets mounted permanently tomorrow when the paints dry. Though it will look more or less the same.

Hksvr4

I got this today new from mitsu. It was $65 for the housing and two 16mm to 1.5, -8 fittings. Still waiting for the 13 row mocal cooler tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned